2016 Avalon 2GRFE OCI recommendations/oil type

Mobil1 5w30 EP HM and you're golden (what I'm using in VQ3.5s) Stout 5w30 with some moly and some PAO and high enough cST@100c for a 5w30. I'd avoid FS oils myself. These cats are expensive.

I'm almost certain Toyota would have made many internal revisions to the 2GR considering its service in 2005.
I’d think so too but I’ve looked, I really don’t see anything aside from the direct injection change in 2018. And I’ve looked for viscosity weights, my particular year is 0w20 (at least from my searching). However on various sites that seem - a little bit generated by an algorithm or something - they state everything from 0w20 up through 10w30.

My plan was to bump it up to a 5W30 at 90,000 miles. I might end up going with a 0w30. Like others have said, there’s not much difference anyway. And it appears as if these engines are easy on oil (by what people are saying/reporting). I’m leaning towards the Mobil1 EP, but others look interesting.

Don’t think I am babying it:
View attachment 82321
I have driven my 2014 Avalon between 100-120 mph without even being halfway on the gas pedal for hours at a time, 2-3 hours without needing to slow down, thanks to COVID-19 and emptyish highway since I bought it. It doesn't consume any oil at all, longest I ran was Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 for 14k miles but it was 95% highway and I put those miles in 3 months, oil is always full, regardless of the abuse it goes through.

I would run my 2GR-Fes with any 0w20 full synthetic for 10k OCI with normal driving conditions and EP oils for severe driving conditions.

I believe some piston revisions were done for sure, and I would think they repaired previous years weak points like timing chain leak/gears rattling so those recall stuff.
For sure certain revisions were made to accomdate lower viscosity oil.
Toyota tends to use the same engine for a long durations.

For sure certain revisions were made to accomdate lower viscosity oil.
Toyota tends to use the same engine for a long durations.
The only revisions I’ve seen on Toyota pistons has been the larger oil openings for the oil control rings on their four cylinders that had the campaign for oil consumption. But the 2Gr-FE engine, I haven’t seen anything. They use the oil sprayer under the piston, but I think they’ve always had that...and I believe the piston has a Teflon coating on the sides, but I don’t think that’s new or anything.

Of course just because I haven’t seen or read anything in the internet about the 2GR-FE means nothing, they probably are fine for 0w20-10w30, like everyone has said.

I have driven my 2014 Avalon between 100-120 mph without even being halfway on the gas pedal for hours at a time, 2-3 hours without needing to slow down, thanks to COVID-19 and emptyish highway since I bought it. It doesn't consume any oil at all, longest I ran was Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 for 14k miles but it was 95% highway and I put those miles in 3 months, oil is always full, regardless of the abuse it goes through.

I would run my 2GR-Fes with any 0w20 full synthetic for 10k OCI with normal driving conditions and EP oils for severe driving conditions.
The only revisions I’ve seen on Toyota pistons has been the larger oil openings for the oil control rings on their four cylinders that had the campaign for oil consumption. But the 2Gr-FE engine, I haven’t seen anything. They use the oil sprayer under the piston, but I think they’ve always had that...and I believe the piston has a Teflon coating on the sides, but I don’t think that’s new or anything.

Of course just because I haven’t seen or read anything in the internet about the 2GR-FE means nothing, they probably are fine for 0w20-10w30, like everyone has said.
Same engine is specd. for ACEA A3 or C3 in Europe.

Back