Corvette manual to auto swap...No crank

I picked up a cheap '95 Corvette C4 "project" for the summer.

Long story short, the car was originally a 6-speed manual. The engine blew and after swapping a few hands there is now a new engine and an automatic transmission in the car. I knew about the new engine when buying it, but I was not told anything about the transmission being swapped. I only found out when I searched the VIN # and came across an old listing from 2016. And sure enough my automatic C4 still has a manual shift boot without the gear indicators on the console. Nor does it show gear selection on the dash(although I'm not sure if C4's did this).

Anyways I brought the car non-running. I figured out most of VATS and have a bypass module ordered. Until it comes I cannot single out VATS for the no crank issue...but from how the wiring looks right now I got a slight feeling that that route has already been taken.

Question now is: Do the automatic and manual ECU's have different programming? Even for 90's GM cars in general?
This is the first domestic car I've really gotten in-depth with. Otherwise I've only done work on BMWs which require programming even for TCM repair let alone an AT/MT conversion. Am I freaking out or are domestic cars much more simpler?

Do the automatic and manual ECU's have different programming? Even for 90's GM cars in general?
It may depend on exactly which transmission they installed. If they used an older non-electronic it probably will be fine once it's running. Painless Wiring makes a transmission ecm kit for modern transmissions for older non- computer controlled cars. But it might be cheaper to have a dealership activate the A/T in your existing pcm.

What happened is the car got pissed off because you took away it's beloved manual tranny and swapped in an automatic:D

Haha just messin' with ya;)

What happened is the car got pissed off because you took away it's beloved manual tranny and swapped in an automatic:D

Haha just messin' with ya;)

I have absolutely no clue why anyone would do such a thing. They made more autos than manuals, and a drop out manual cost the same as an auto. There is absolutely no benefit lol

It may depend on exactly which transmission they installed. If they used an older non-electronic it probably will be fine once it's running. Painless Wiring makes a transmission ecm kit for modern transmissions for older non- computer controlled cars. But it might be cheaper to have a dealership activate the A/T in your existing pcm.

It's a 4L60E. Fairly old and simple trans but I'm no transmission expert.

Question now is: Do the automatic and manual ECU's have different programming? Even for 90's GM cars in general?
Yes they are different, even with this being an OBD1 compliant vehicle.
Am I freaking out or are domestic cars much more simpler?
The Corvette is GM’s flagship vehicle and routinely receives technology a decade before any other GM vehicle besides some Cadillac’s models. Don’t be fooled by it being a 1995 model, the later C4 Vettes are very much computer controlled. Visit some dedicated Corvette forums, some have tackled this swap already.

Wow, I have been around a lot of Corvette's and never seen where someone would do this with a C-4. I hope you get it sorted out and sorry I can't help you out.

Back