Corvette C5 engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by vazzen:
From what I have read here the LS1 engine seems to "like" a thicker oil than 5w-30.

Actually, the LS1 seems to like an oil that is near the changeover point between a 30wt and 40wt, so if you run a thick 30wt oil you'll get good results. It just doesn't seem to like the thinner 5w30 oils as well (the ones closer to 10cst at 100c that is)

So a 5w30 or 0w30 can still work great, just try and use one that has a viscosity at or above 11.5cst at 100c. Amsoil, Redline or Castrol SLX would all work well here.

[ February 03, 2004, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Hmmmmm, 5 minute DVT on dyno..... most Corvettes coming off the truck from Bowling Green have 2 to 2.5 miles on the odometer.

Been there and seen it done on 2002 models. Corvette is born (first fired) about 100 ft from the end of the line, goes thru a paint inspection area, a few more detail items installed, clear protective covering applied and then driven off by 2 ladies, one is rather large and she just falls into the seat, its then onto the front alignment racks (2) about 50 ft, from there they race it across the floor (about 2-300 ft to the enclosed dyno rooom for testing. There is run up to a speed of 70mph for about the 5 min, when the green light come on, the brakes are locked (tested), the brarriers come down and it driven over to the water booth where they check for leaks into the car etc. From there its out the door into the yard to be put on truck or train and shipped on the destination.

-

[ February 03, 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
What does a vette manual say in the rest of Europe and Australia??

I haven't seen too many Vettes down here ! Our HSV & Holden Commodores and Monaros (Pontiac GTOs) use the same LS1 V8, I think the factory fill for the hipo HSV models is M1 10w30.

Yep, the Chev V-8s get 10W-30 M1 from the factory.

And the local mob put 20W-50 dino at first service.....apparently cheaper.

I have an 02 that was assembled in later October 2001 and have the new rings. According to what I have found out, the new pistons went in late in the 01 year, the 02 Z06 got the rings at the start of 02 production and the LS-1 followed shortly thereafter. Everyone that I know who has had an oil control problem on an 02 has a very early production car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back