Corvette 5.7L LT-1 Engine. M1 0w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were mine before I would do any high speed highway miles I would check the date code of the tires, and if they were more than 6 years old replace them. A blow-out at 90 MPH could end up really bad.

The 0W-40 is quite expensive and difficult to find right now with the Mobil 1 label. The C7 Z-06 owners who track their cars seem to like it
a little better however those cars are 650HP with 650 Ft lbs of torque in bone stock form. You really don't need that heavy of oil in your C4 Corvette. I would stick with the Mobil 1 5W-30 and save yourself some money and I don't believe the engine will know the difference. I have a C-6 and run 0W 30 in mine and have had it since new and it has almost 59,600 trouble free miles on it.

I would buy the 0w40 over 5w30 every single time. LT1's are known for being set to run hotter, primary fans are set to come on at 228 degrees and the secondary fans at 238! M1 0w40 is more like a 0w35 with a stouter additive package.

Originally Posted By: JosephH1
I recently acquired a 1992 Corvette with the 5.7l LT-1 engine. This car is a garage queen, in showroom condition with only 48,000 miles on the clock. I plan on using this car as a weekend toy for the Warden and myself. It will see some spirited country road and highway mileage. Nothing near its red line and nothing over 100mph. Just some fun cruising on nice days. It will see a 6-7 month winter layup (Buffalo NY after all) so the oil will be changed every spring, likely after 3 to 5 thousand miles. The original owner has run M1 5w-30 all of its life. I know the 5.7L is not particularly tough on oil. I have had great luck with M1 0w-40 Euro oil and I am thinking about running it in the Vette. Yup, I am a heavier oil fan and believe CAFE regulations have influenced the party line. I also believe that Chevy has either approved or has used this oil in more modern Vettes. Thoughts & concerns? The car also has the auto transmission and your fluid recommendations would be appreciated. This is my first automatic tranny in 38 years of driving. TIA!!

Some good info for you in this link below. And no, you don't need to use Mobil oil exclusively, many other good quality brands such as Pennzoil also exist for your Vette.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-...mobile-1-a.html

No leaks whatsoever, I am considering the HM oil for those 26 year old seals as well. I generally like the additive packages in the HM oils. Yes, I would consider PP Euro 0w-40 interchangeable with the M1 0w-40.

Good point about the newer Corvettes having a much higher level of performance. Certainly can't argue there. In the end, I think the LT-1 will be adequately served by any synthetic 5w-30, 0w-30 or 0w-40 weight oil.
The M1 0w-40 is spendy by the quart, but Walmart has had the M1 0w-40 for 22.96 a 4 quart jug for a while now.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
I would buy the 0w40 over 5w30 every single time. LT1's are known for being set to run hotter, primary fans are set to come on at 228 degrees and the secondary fans at 238! M1 0w40 is more like a 0w35 with a stouter additive package.

Indeed, the M1 0W-40 is right on my car's cap! It's a lighter 40w and works very well for me, fairly high power density engine and runs very high oil temps at the track...

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
If it were mine before I would do any high speed highway miles I would check the date code of the tires, and if they were more than 6 years old replace them. A blow-out at 90 MPH could end up really bad.

Great suggestion, new tires were installed in May 2018

Originally Posted By: Trav
Some of these engines had camshaft and injector issues. Higher zinc and regular OCI helps a lot, Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 0w40, etc fits the bill. Roller lifter are not totally immune to pitting and flat spotting.

Quote:
We’ve heard of some instances of LT1 valvetrain noise caused by
roller lifters pitting and developing flat spots on some of these
engines. The underlying cause is usually too infrequent oil changes or
an oil contamination problem.

Unfortunately this engine has one of if not the worst injectors ever made, I don't even like to clean them the failure rate is so high. They rust badly inside and with ethanol fuel this issue is greatly exacerbated.
There is a great solution for this, a replacement set of Bosh EV1 injectors, they bring new life into engines that were originally equipped with the dreaded Multec I.

Great to know. The car was part of a Corvette collection, the owner ran nothing but non ethanol premium fuel in all of his cars. This will definitely continue under my watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back