correct way to grease taper roller bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the correct way to grease taper rolller bearings. Should grease be pushed through the entire lenght of the bearing by hand or bearing packer? And then just butter the sides and the ends. Is Castrol MP grease in the small can rated for disc brakes?

I found using the bearing packer, pushing grease with my grease gun from the inside to the outside of the bearing works best for me. After I'm done I butter the bearings on the inside, outside, and the ends then put it back together.

I can't help you with the Castrol grease question since I've never used it.

I've always packed them by hand and spent a lot of time making sure to get grease all the way down to the inner race, then butter the outside lightly.

A few years ago, I started a new technique- I put a large wad of fresh bearing grease inside a new Ziploc bag, drop the bearing in, zip the bag, and then squeeze and moosh the grease into the bearing without getting my hands nasty ;-)

Pull the bearing out, and its already buttered, too. Then you can drop the next bearing into the same bag and repeat, adding more grease if you get low in the bag. Works great!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
...A few years ago, I started a new technique- I put a large wad of fresh bearing grease inside a new Ziploc bag, drop the bearing in, zip the bag, and then squeeze and moosh the grease into the bearing without getting my hands nasty ;-)...
To take this one step further if you have a food vacuum packer you can use it to vacuum pack the bearing. For race cars/trucks where you have spares this makes a very good way to transport them pre-greased and sealed.

Originally Posted By: Triaged
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
...A few years ago, I started a new technique- I put a large wad of fresh bearing grease inside a new Ziploc bag, drop the bearing in, zip the bag, and then squeeze and moosh the grease into the bearing without getting my hands nasty ;-)...
To take this one step further if you have a food vacuum packer you can use it to vacuum pack the bearing. For race cars/trucks where you have spares this makes a very good way to transport them pre-greased and sealed.

That's an excellent idea! My grandpa was an engineer on a food can packing line, and they were having a heck of a problem getting the right amount of grease- I mean gravy- into cans of beef stew. They were dropping in the meat and carrots and whatnot into the can, and then topping off with gravy. The problem was getting the gravy into the voids created by the chunks. So they solved the problem by creating a vacuum in the can, and then squirting the gravy in. Because of the vacuum, there was no air to displace and the gravy went right into the voids...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back