Corolla hybrid starts fine after sitting a week, but not a half hour later.

I picked up the 2020 Corolla I bought over a week ago at auction, and it started right up. I drove it maybe 300 feet out the gate to the parking lot and turned it off so I could drop off my rental car. I come back a half hour later to drive it home, and the battery is dead. Dash doesn't light up, even the horn doesn't beep. Used my jump pack and it started fine. And no problem a hour later when I stopped for gas or for the rest of the trip home. Why would the battery be fine after sitting a week, but then quit right after, and be ok the rest of the day? This is the 12 volt battery that powers the electronics, it doesn't supply the starter.

Battery tests at 195 CCA and the car started fine. Not buying a $200+ replacement. It's not even an AGM. Will be checking the Walmart riding mower batteries.

IMG_8903.JPG

You want the group size 26R economy battery. Shave its vertical bars so the clamp fits... you'll see. Sits an inch taller but you'll have room.

I have had a lot of batteries that test ok however they will fail again, and again, and again before I finally say the heck with it the battery thinks it has a part time job not full time.

Just get a cheap battery. I swear there's almost no difference in a $70-80 battery vs a $220 one anymore. They last about the same now. A duralast gold lasted just under 3 months beyond the warranty. Total scam.

Battery tests at 195 CCA and the car started fine. Not buying a $200+ replacement. It's not even an AGM. Will be checking the Walmart riding mower batteries.
So is that a PASS or FAIL? Based on the fact that you're shopping for a replacement, I assume FAIL.

Tester said to recharge and retest. I'm going to drive it around for a week with a jump pack in the trunk to see how it behaves. Owners manual mentions something about the car disconnecting power after sitting a week so maybe something along those lines happened. Will see.

Take a gander for T-SB-0095-20. 2020-2021 Corolla impacted. Don't think it is the issue why it'd start but not 30 min later, but have to say, my '21 had a dead flat battery after sitting 2 or 3 days. Charged back up stupid fast, so I truly believe it's bad--but it tests ok. Maybe it's a flaky battery and I really should replace--but I bought a cheapo jump pack from Walmart and tossed that into the trunk.

In my case, I am 99% sure it was from listening to Sirius and then leaving it set to Sirius in the radio, instead of turning off the radio before shutting down. Sounds stupid but IMO it may have left the Sirius antenna on somehow. TSB is to reflash DCM, and I have to wonder... if it's not for that. It's swag on my part but since making sure to not use Sirius and to turn the radio off... no issues. Correlation is causation?

Plug into charger and see what transpires.

Happens again new battery . Those tests seem hit or miss in my findings especially later with dead battery and futzing with jump packs.

Don't you need an active subscription to drain the battery?
Don't think so--IIRC, I don't type anything into my radio? instead I tell Sirius what my ... whatever s/n the radio has. I think... been eons since I had a Sirius subscription. Anyhow. I think all the electronics is always enabled, it just somehow gets on-air data as to subscription data. I think...

Car came with 3 months free, and one day I started listening, to see if it was the same as when I quit it. 'bout the same, few new stations, not enough content, same dropouts.

Back