Copy of original, unedited oil filter study??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen the Mini-Mopar oil study. The link is still out there, but is an edited version due to pressure from the oil filter manufacturers sicking their lawyers on the guy that did the study. Does anyone have a copy of the original, unedited version of this study with all of the negative findings that he omitted? I would be very interested in seeing this. Thanks, Joe

Russ Knize is the author of this study. His website (minimopar.net) is regularly maintained. The Oil Filter Study is still on that site although it hasn't been updated in a couple of years. This link will take you there. It's as unedited as you will find - and includes the unflattering email from an Allied Signal engineer.

Thanks Touringpro, I already have that link, that is the edited version. The one I am looking for is before that. It talks about Champion rust issues and goes into more detail about both the Fram and Purolater filters. Thanks anyway, Joe

Quote regarding Champion Labs suppliers' attorneys-- and I do use SuperTechs--haven't seen rust in years. There was a knowledgable paper expert posting on Edmunds about a year ago who debunked the comments about Champion's media.

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy-faq.html

"Why was this page taken off the web for a while?
On 8/11/99, I received a rather threatening letter from a corporate lawyer for an automotive parts retailer (not an oil filter manufacturer) threatening legal action if I did not take the page down within 7 day (they cannot make such a demand via unregistered mail and have it mean anything). Suprisingly, this was not in regards to Allied-Signal manufactured oil filters. It was in regards to Champion Laboratories manufactured filters. I requested that the retailer send me the information from the manufacturer that caused them to *demand* that the page be removed from my site. Since the lawer had no apparent knowledge on the subject, I did not try to reason with her. I do not have the resources to take the battle to court, even though I am well within my rights, so I opted to take it down in that form in good faith. I have since updated the page so that it now only carries the hard data that I aquired, and what I saw while doing it (which is backed up by the pictures). I removed most of my opinionated comments as well as any data that came from the manufacturer (SAE numbers). Thanks to all those that sympathized with my problems.

"I received the document from the oil filter retailer on 8/16/99, which was originally from a quality engineer at Champion Laboratories. It was obviously in response to a query the retailer had made to Champion Labs in regards to my web page. The document made some very valid points, which I took to heart. They were concerned because even though they sell several brands of oil filters, they are almost all made by Champion Labs. What really annoys me is that rather than work with me on the issues presented in the letter, they simply chose to demand I take the entire thing down. I am always open to input, but I don't respond favoribly to blind threats. I will not reveal the name of the company that threatened me unless they decide to do it again. This is for their own sake and not mine."

[ January 23, 2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: csandste ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back