Copy a key for 06 Civic???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I just got a 06 Civic LX which only has one key. I would like to make an extra key for any emergencies. I bought a transponder, key which has "chip" inside as same as the OEM key, on ebay. The dealership askes me around $90 for programming and cutting the key. Any guys know where is the right place to copy the key?

Thanks.

Not only must you get the key cut, but, the chip programed for your car. Several folks on this or another car site had much trouble with ebay key programing.

is it just a regular key cut or a laser cut style? we get people bringing in eBay key blanks for us to cut and half the time the listings are wrong, or the keys wont program to the vehicle.

Hopefully my next car will have a keyless ignition and keyless entry. So, if I can keep track of the fobs, I'm golden.

Just another way to lighten our wallets and for automakers to make profit after the sale. Goodbye to the old style keys that cost one or two dollars to copy. And good luck to having anyone but the dealer make useable copies of your keys.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Just another way to lighten our wallets and for automakers to make profit after the sale. Goodbye to the old style keys that cost one or two dollars to copy. And good luck to having anyone but the dealer make useable copies of your keys.

I've had a couple cut before for less than $2 each. There's nothing that prevents them from physically opening the door, glove box, or trunk - even though they won't start the car. Still - if you've got the factory alarm it'll typically go off if you try to open the trunk or door without using the remote first.

It's not great, but it's a reasonable backup just in case the keys are accidentally locked in the car. In that case it's unlikely that the alarm was turned on.

when we cut a new set of keys for people at my work, i usually cut a non chipped key for them to use as a hide-a-key so they can maybe get in to get out registration for next time. i know its a Ford only thing, but the buttons on the door of FLM products are actually really awesome.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
i know its a Ford only thing, but the buttons on the door of FLM products are actually really awesome.

Yes, yes they are. I don't think it's always been a Ford-only thing though. A friend used to drive around a 1993 (I think) Maxima that had a keypad on the driver's side door that could operator the door locks and power windows, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back