Cooper Rugged Trek

Hey guys just looking for any experience with this tire, that and the Discoverer AT3 XLT. I am replacing the burnt out Duratracs (got just shy of 4 years, 80,000km) on my 3500. 275 70 18. While the Duratracs were great, they have increased more than 100$ a tire and quite frankly are ridiculously priced. I see lots of mixed driving, long highway, heavy towing and plenty of gravel.

I had run 10 ply Discoverer AT3s for a year or two prior to selling my 1500. I towed heavy and they wore fast. Other than that they were good in our climate.

Do the new XLT version wear better?

So that leads me to the Rugged Trek. It looks like Cooper's version of the Duratrac. Wonder how they wear as well as wear compared to the Duratracs.

Thanks!

I have the AT3 4S on my Touareg and can't wear them out. Almost 40k miles I'm still at 8/32”

That said, I paid $180/tire two years ago. Now they're $260/tire in my size and Cooper can friggin' keep them for that price.

Aside from the current price I have zero complaints. I like Cooper tires.

So after some back and forth we got the Rugged Trek. Decided to go for the more off road oriented tire as we have a lot of towing planned this year and much of it will be on gravel roads and in the sloppy spring.

I haven't driven the truck yet, my wife had taken it in. So she will have to give the review as she has the trailer hooked up now and 120km highway to run.
20220225_113051.jpg

So a bit of an update on the Rugged Trek. About 400km on them with a mix of gravel and highway.

Traction is excellent, on packed snow, ice and half frozen gravel roads. They seem to do what I want, they dig in and I go. On the tight turns on packed snow and ice they were not plowing or understeering, the truck goes where I want.

Now for 115km/h highway burns they seem a touch smoother and quieter than Duratracs. The ride and harshness is about the same. Its subjective because I'm running E rated tires on roads that are littered with potholes and frost heaving.

The tire size, 275 70 18, of these does not carry the mountain peak snow rating while Cooper says about half of their tires sizes do carry it. Does it make a difference? Who knows but so far they are performing fine.

Time will tell in how long they last. The Duratracs went 76,000km but suffered some very heavy hauling so again, I cannot complain

I was going to make a new post, but hope it's OK I just glom onto this one -- I had Rugged Trek's installed on my 4th gen Ram 1500 in the factory size (275/60r20) earlier in the week. So far very happy with them: much quieter than appearance would suggest (I think close to a regular all terrain) and they ride great. No wet weather yet, but gravel/light mud traction is thus far great. Will also update as I get some miles on them (mostly commute, but will also tow ~4k pounds a few times a year, mud from time to time, wet grass, dirt roads, etc.).

IMG_3922.jpg
IMG_3924.jpg

I was going to make a new post, but hope it's OK I just glom onto this one -- I had Rugged Trek's installed on my 4th gen Ram 1500 in the factory size (275/60r20) earlier in the week. So far very happy with them: much quieter than appearance would suggest (I think close to a regular all terrain) and they ride great. No wet weather yet, but gravel/light mud traction is thus far great. Will also update as I get some miles on them (mostly commute, but will also tow ~4k pounds a few times a year, mud from time to time, wet grass, dirt roads, etc.).

View attachment 91038View attachment 91039
How did these affect your mpg ? Thanks

How did these affect your mpg ? Thanks
Give me about a month and I'll let you know! My commute is all city, with a few longer (100-200 mile) drives per month. I average around 13 mpg day-to-day, and get around 19.5 mpg on longer drives (hand calculated; I'm a 65-70 mph driver, nice and easy).

Initially I don't "see" much of a difference based on the dash readout -- they are not LT-rated in this size, but they are a little heavier (47 lbs) and a little taller (33.4") than typical (~40 lbs; ~33"), so I'm hoping for minimal deviation from my typical mileage.

Hey great to see others trying these out!

As for fuel mileage.... I am not sure. We have been towing quite often since then, with heavy winds, snow and winter fuel. I haven't bothered to hand calculate as there are too many factors at play to get comparable circumstances. But I don't think its any worse than the Duratracs.

Update: ~1500 miles on the tires so far. Still really like them.

MPG: approx. the same mileage as before (12.5 mpg during my all-city commute, ~20 mpg during longer all highway drives at 65 mph). Makes sense as these aren't all that much heavier than a typical A/T (which is what I had on before, Cooper Adventurer A/T).

I've got several thousand km so far and still no regrets. Still impressed with the highway manners and glad I opted for a more offroad oriented tire. We bombed down some old riding trail to scout and barely made her back.

Just out of curiosity, now that Goodyear owns Cooper do they still have independent design teams or is Goodyear starting to share their designs/tech with the Cooper brand? Not that it would be bad, but I personally have always had a higher opinion of Cooper tires than Goodyear.

Reviving the thread to say I now have 4k miles on the Coopers -- will rotate in about 1k miles. So far they don't have any visual wear (I have not yet measured), are still pretty quiet, and after all types of driving, there has not been a material (measurable) difference in MPGs. The wet weather traction continues to impress me.

I still think they are great!

The tread on those looks similar to the old style Goodyear Wrangler Radial that I used on my Wrangler and Blazer. Very good traction off road and in snow, but horrible gas mileage.
They look to be less of a soft tire than the Wrangler so would expect better mileage from them.

Well I have put a pile of loaded and unloaded miles on these tires. Still a great purchase. They are resisting the gravel road damage fairly well, as good if not better, subjectively, than the previous Duratracs. Road noise is better, I have enough highway miles on them to tell the difference.

I think fuel economy is unchanged if not better than the Duratracs as well. I had just completed 3600km trip, unloaded to the west coast and back. I did a fair clip and averaged 19.1 or so mpg, hand calculated, total combined mileage, which is the best that truck has given me to date. All the while the tires had a great ride and decent noise level.

I'll probably give them a rotate before the snow flies but overall I am very happy with my choice!

This is an older thread bull I will chime in. On my Tacoma I went from Duratrac to the Rugged Trek, I now have about 25k miles on them, gravel, rain, snow, mud, and everything in between. About 10k miles are on Colorado's mountain passes, Engineer, Corkscrew, Imogine, Owl creek, California, and many many others. 4x4 low range scratching away. I will say the Cooper's performed flawlessly in all areas. I will say the traction is comparable to the Duratracs, but the ride on the Coopers is slightly nicer, and it is for certain quieter and less vibration. Miles, time will tell, so far they are wearing, but about what one would expect. Oh ya, once on the Goodyear I spun my tire turning around on a gravel road, like I have done a million times in the past, and I poked a stone thru the thread and got a flat. Was this a complete fluke, or a weakness of the Duratrac? I guess I'll never find out again.

Update on them please?

I currently have 65k miles on the Baja boss at. Have 12/32 out of 18/32
275/55r20 10 ply. 04 denali that weighs about 7000 pounds from the extra weight in it. (Not your average stereo build). Used to often. Still do from time to time. They have been phenomenal in everything. Ride rough on back roads and heavier then other 10 plys I've ran.
Been thinking about going back down to a 6 ply. My only concern with Baja boss ats is the syping is starting to decrease a good bit as they wear so wet and snow traction I'm getting concerned about.

Been thinking about trying out the cooper rugged trek in a 6 ply. If I stick with 10 ply I'll just get a little bit bigger 285/55.
20230315_124653.jpg

Update on them please?

I currently have 65k miles on the Baja boss at. Have 12/32 out of 18/32
275/55r20 10 ply. 04 denali that weighs about 7000 pounds from the extra weight in it. (Not your average stereo build). Used to often. Still do from time to time. They have been phenomenal in everything. Ride rough on back roads and heavier then other 10 plys I've ran.
Been thinking about going back down to a 6 ply. My only concern with Baja boss ats is the syping is starting to decrease a good bit as they wear so wet and snow traction I'm getting concerned about.

Been thinking about trying out the cooper rugged trek in a 6 ply. If I stick with 10 ply I'll just get a little bit bigger 285/55. View attachment 156559
What wheels are those? They look to have a zero or negative offset.
275/60/20E is another size option.
Nice basket style roof rack.

I appreciate it.
The wheels are offroad monster m25 20x10s. -19 offset. They stick out about 2.5 inches.
1/4 inch spacing on the rear. Normally hate spacers but without them on the back they don't match the front on how much they stick out. The threads are long on this so it still has plenty without affecting anything. About 400k miles on her and she's doing great.
Its also not leveled or lowered. I plan upgrading the rear coil springs to dayton and also do a coilover conversion all the way around with lifting it 3 inches. Air ride was deleted and the factory springs are a litting weak from having the air ride make up for it. The conversation kit is about 1300$ so it isn't bad at all.

received_1012715466765748.jpeg
received_1424954324935592.jpeg

I appreciate it.
The wheels are offroad monster m25 20x10s. -19 offset. They stick out about 2.5 inches.
1/4 inch spacing on the rear. Normally hate spacers but without them on the back they don't match the front on how much they stick out. The threads are long on this so it still has plenty without affecting anything. About 400k miles on her and she's doing great.
Its also not leveled or lowered. I plan upgrading the rear coil springs to dayton and also do a coilover conversion all the way around with lifting it 3 inches. Air ride was deleted and the factory springs are a litting weak from having the air ride make up for it. The conversation kit is about 1300$ so it isn't bad at all.

View attachment 156593View attachment 156594

We had a Yukon in that body style - a spaceship at the time …
Seats were better than anything in my signature now …

Back