Cooper CS5 Grand Touring initial review -PICS-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ill put the CS5 Ultras on the list as possible tires for the CVPI after Winter. RT43s and P7s are also in the running at this point. Cost will probably dictate my choice.

Have you considered the PureContacts? Another grand touring tire option with LRR (if you're interested in that sort of thing). Reviews on Tirerack seem great along with their internal testing.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Ill put the CS5 Ultras on the list as possible tires for the CVPI after Winter. RT43s and P7s are also in the running at this point. Cost will probably dictate my choice.

Have you considered the PureContacts? Another grand touring tire option with LRR (if you're interested in that sort of thing). Reviews on Tirerack seem great along with their internal testing.

Add TrueContact's to your list. Just put them on my Dad's 300, and they're superb. Quiet, good ride, superb in the rain, we'll see with upcoming snow. And @ $550 installed OTD for a modern car w/17" wheels, good value with a 90k warranty.

Procontacts in 225/60R16 H-rated are on closeout, so I don't know if they will continue to be available.
Truecontacts do look like they are available in that size, so Ill add them too.

Procontacts in 225/60R16 H-rated are on closeout, so I don't know if they will continue to be available.
Truecontacts do look like they are available in that size, so Ill add them too.

Actually, scratch that. Doesn't look like the PureContacts are available in your size.

We got our first decent snow not too long ago. It was only a few inches, but it gave me my first change to test the winter traction.

I expected an improvement over the old FR710, but it was a huge improvement. Since this is a 2wd truck it's never been great in the snow, but I was really happy with the performance during this snow.

We will see how they perform for the rest of the winter.

C6_zpse250313b.jpg

I had a little trouble getting the rebate approved. I submitted it online but Discount Tire claimed the store never uploaded the invoice to their rebate center. I then had to mail in hard copies of the documents and the rebate form.

I did an online chat yesterday with the DT rebate center and the person on the other end dug up my documents and approved the rebate right then. I should be receiving it soon.

After the rebate, I ended up paying only $337 after tax and installation for these tires. That's a pretty good price for a name-brand tire in this size.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I had a little trouble getting the rebate approved. I submitted it online but Discount Tire claimed the store never uploaded the invoice to their rebate center. I then had to mail in hard copies of the documents and the rebate form.

I did an online chat yesterday with the DT rebate center and the person on the other end dug up my documents and approved the rebate right then. I should be receiving it soon.

After the rebate, I ended up paying only $337 after tax and installation for these tires. That's a pretty good price for a name-brand tire in this size.

That's too bad about the rebate hiccup. When I did mine it was probably the easiest rebate process I've ever used. At least they were able to make it right.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

That's too bad about the rebate hiccup. When I did mine it was probably the easiest rebate process I've ever used. At least they were able to make it right.

Agreed. AT/DT rebates were very easy to fill and received prepaid Visa card in less than 3-4 weeks.

Tire manufactures rebates were different story, I had to fill out paper form and mail it in with receipt. But so far I received all rebate checks or prepaid debit card from Tire manufactures without a hitch.

I installed these on the wife's 05 Odyssey about 3000 miles ago. So far, very impressed with all performance aspects. Snow driving has been limited but seems decent. The Ody is a known tire eater so time will tell how well they wear.

On this forum to be a Guru all you need to do is to spell Michelin!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I presently have a set of the new CS5 ULTRA Touring on the Avalon...

I have to say, the wet traction is INCREDIBLE. I'm spoiled from driving at the limit with my Michelin Primacy MXM4s and Pilot Sport A/S3s I had on my Fusion, so I know where the line lies, and these are AMAZING! Those of you out there who used to know cooper tires as being awful in the wet, which is why I make this such a big point....they've changed!

They're also outstandingly comfortable, quiet and an all around excellent tire. Did I mention they can be had for a CRAZY bargain?

Originally Posted By: W_John_C

They're also outstandingly comfortable, quiet and an all around excellent tire. Did I mention they can be had for a CRAZY bargain?

Yeah, thats whats getting me. The price is better than the other options I was looking at. I don't want to spend a lot of money on my old beater, but I dont want low quality tires either. These are going to be perfect for me, I think.

Originally Posted By: CKN
On this forum to be a Guru all you need to do is to spell Michelin!
smile.gif

Gag. After a miserable set of LTX M/S tires, never again.

Where are you guys finding these Coopers for a bargain? Around here, they're are least as expensive as most Michelins. I liked these for our CR-V, but they weren't cost competitive.
frown.gif

What speed rating is required on your CR-V?

For me, it's the DTD with all discounts applied. Not only from DTD but the Mfg's also. And the kicker is the Walmart install. This is how I get my best/lowest price.

Last edited:
Firestone tires is where there is little/no difference between buying locally or online and W*M install. My buddy just bought the same size Destination LE/2's for his Equinox as your CR-V. The online and local price wasn't worth the inconvenience of buying online although, online was still cheaper w/W*M install.

Here is a Cooper CS5 from DTD(a single discount and W*M install) that would be close to your LE/2's

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=17&cs=225

In my area, would be $530 installed and that's with no extra discounts or rebates. Which can be had(possibly) during the next holiday offer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back