Coolant temp increases on hills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Do you have a real coolant temp gauge?
Most of the later ones are not.
A real temp gauge will show variations all of the time as driving conditions vary.
If you do, you'll find coolant temperature varies a great deal depending upon conditions.
Climbing a hill, for example, requires more power than running on level ground, using more fuel, and producing more waste heat, some of which is resolved into the coolant, so you see a commensurate increase in coolant temperature on the gauge.
If you have a real coolant temp gauge, you may simply be seeing the real increase in coolant temperature, and nothing is amiss.

Ha, good call. You beat me to it.

Start with a stat change, verify that the radiator is cool (so to speak) and and re-try the pass. If it still gets warm, see above.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Have you ever done the same pass and it not heat up? Did something change? Im thinking along the lines of what fdcg27 said. My parents had a 83 nissan sentra thats engine was so weak it struggled like crazy going up the mountains in Tennessee and it would heat up just like you are describing. That vehicle was almost brand new. Same thing happened later to their old mercedes diesel. It would heat up climbing these steep mountains. Not overheat but its temp would increase.

Yes have done the same mountain passes before with no issues.
Normally gauge never more from its position just below half.
This is a strong engine I have no power issues with hills.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Do you have a real coolant temp gauge?
Most of the later ones are not.
A real temp gauge will show variations all of the time as driving conditions vary.
If you do, you'll find coolant temperature varies a great deal depending upon conditions.
Climbing a hill, for example, requires more power than running on level ground, using more fuel, and producing more waste heat, some of which is resolved into the coolant, so you see a commensurate increase in coolant temperature on the gauge.
If you have a real coolant temp gauge, you may simply be seeing the real increase in coolant temperature, and nothing is amiss.

This is a great post! I just got the ultra-gauge toy. I can confirm that car temp gauge stays at the same needle position even when the coolant temperature swings from 160 to 210 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back