Coolant recommendation

The water pump in my 2004 5.9 cummins went out again. I got 5 years out of the previous one. I changed the pump and figure I'd change the coolant as its 5 years old as well. I was using G 05, but what about prestone? The orange American model coolant is what they recommend for my engine.. Its about the same price, but double the change interval at 10 years. What you guys think?

I would go with a heavy duty red ELC coolant like Chevron ELC or Rotella ELC. ELC is best for diesel engines.

The first question is will you be doing enough flushes to remove all of the old coolant?

What is the engine spec'ed for? If its spec'ed for a 10 yr coolant that is not crazy priced that is worth considering. But agree with naterbomb that coolants like Rotella ELC are highly rated for small truck diesel engines.

Any of these would be great choices:

1. Final Charge Global
2. Prestone Command Heavy Duty Nitrite-Free ELC Cor-Guard
3. Shell Rotella Ultra ELC

Last edited:
the 5.9 is a closed deck dry sleeve engine. agree with looking for a modern nitrite free application to replace the 40yr old almost obsolete G05. nitrites are of little use, even in wet sleeve applications supposedly

Prestone ELC with Cor-Guard would be my first choice, phosphates are king when it comes to long life service. Second option would be just be plain Prestone with Cor-Guard.

"Recommended" for the '04 would be Mopar MS9769 (dyed orange, 5yr, the same HOAT formulation as G-05)

You don't any SCAs for cavitation protection/liner pitting.

As long as you have *some* silicates that plate out, but not so high as to abrade your pump seal, your '04 will do just fine on HOAT.

Back