Coolant For 2003 Frontier?

I am trying to figure out the best coolant for my 2003 Frontier v6 (VG33e engine). I recently had a radiator AND heater core go out at roughly the same time. Recently purchased the truck, so not too sure of its history. It seemed to be well maintained but it had what looked like Prestone universal coolant in it before. I replaced the radiator, bypassed the heater core (for now) and did a really solid flush of the cooling system several times over using Prestone's radiator flush which is citric acid based, and then multiple rinses with distilled water to get rid of all the flush. I had purchased a couple of gallons of Prestone Platinum All Makes All Models to fill it up with, but right as I am about to do that I am second guessing myself and wondering if it would be better to go with a more specific coolant. Any suggestions?

My 2017 came with Asian blue and that's what I go back with. I had written to Ashland back when they made the Zerex brand product and the OEM product for many manufacturers and they told me that Asian blue and Asian red are the same product that are colored for specific manufacturers requests. The Asian blue is available from WalMart for the same price as every other coolant so I have no reason to deviate.

I personally don't ever use the "all makes all models" product. One size rarely fits all and for extreme longevity I think you can't go wrong using what the manufacturer filled with from the factory.

Manufactures do not make their own coolant. Keep is simple and use the recommend fluid.

Zerex Asian Blue, Pentofrost A3, Recochem OEM Blue, or Peak OET Asian Blue would be a good choice for your Frontier :)

If you want something more universal, there's Peak 10x

Nissan called for “any good quality ethylene glycol coolant” in those days. Dealerships were pouring in whatever cheap green tbey can get.

I’d use an Asian blue formula that doesn’t have 2-EHA and sebacic acid or neodeconate like Zerex/Peak/GC. It’ll be similar to what Nissan used from the factory. Nissan was one of the last holdouts for brass & solder heater cores which Dex-Cool based coolants(like Prestone) don’t play nice with.

Back