Coolant for 1993 Mazda RX-7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just wondering if I made the right choice about coolant for my 93 RX-7 as I will be doing a coolant flush. At first I had looked at Prestone Extended Life Coolant (the concentrate not the 50/50) which was around $13 a gallon at Wal-Mart. It says that it is phosphate, silicate, and borate free which I hear is a good thing for Japanese coolant system metals. I ended up purchasing Mazda Genuine Longlife Coolant instead. Not Mazda FL22 just the regular Mazda coolant concentrate. It was about double the price of the Prestone, not that I'm that concerned about that. I just want the best coolant. The only thing that bothers me is that the Mazda bottle does not say if it has phosphates/silicate and borate though. Just wondering if staying with Mazda genuine was the best thing for my car? Hopefully it is good for my older model RX-7.

Thanks,
Drew

I think you did the right thing by using the Mazda LL. It's for sure to be compatible with your cooling system and less likely to be aggressive with any plastic seals. The only drawback besides price is it's shorter service life than Preston and FL-22, but within its service interval it probably provides about equal protection.

You could've used FL22 as I think it's been backed speced. The Mazda long life coolant should have phosphates, but no silicates and no borates and no nitrites as Japanese makes always specify. Prestone LL lacks the phosphates and is not as tolerant with low coolant levels.

Thanks!! Are the phosphates in the Mazda LL pretty standard and safe for a Japanese Car coolant system? I do feel more comfortable going with factory fluids and I put very little miles on my Mazda anyway.

The Japanese recommend phosphates. You'd want to mix the concentrate with low mineral water or distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back