Coolant Exchange/Purge

Is a coolant exchange machine the only real way to change your coolant?
I know I have done in the past just a drain/flush myself but then you end up diluting the system cause there is always coolant in the block you can’t get out.
I have seen some coolant vacuums on Amazon but it looks like they only fill? Is that correct? I need to change the coolant on both of my vehicles and just seeing exactly how the exchange tool works in a shop. They are about $100 around where I live.

I just flush it thoroughly with water. Then, add half the system capacity of coolant concentrate. Finally, run it and get any air out and finish filling with water. This will result in a 50/50 mix in the system.

I know I have done in the past just a drain/flush myself but then you end up diluting the system cause there is always coolant in the block you can’t get out.
I have seen some coolant vacuums on Amazon but it looks like they only fill? Is that correct? I need to change the coolant on both of my vehicles and just seeing exactly how the exchange tool works in a shop. They are about $100 around where I live.
No, you can do it cheaper!

1. Take the Lower Radiator Hose off and drain the Coolant
2. Take the Thermostat out
3. Have as many quarts of Distilled Water as you Coolant Capacity, so 16 quart capacity would be 4 gallons of Distilled water, maybe get an extra gallon of Distilled Water.
4. Fill the radiator with Distilled water and take the Upper Radiator Hose off and get an extra hose and aim it towards a 5 gallon bucket.
5. Have someone start the car and keeping adding Distilled Water until it is clear, and then add coolant and try to get a 50 50 Mix.
6. Put Thermostat Back in

Some of my engines have block drains.

On my engines without a block drain, I simply shorten the radiator drain/refill interval and not worry about any exchange methods, vacuum pumps, tall funnels, fancy machines, hose splicing devices.....

No. The real way was to pull lower radiator hose and open the block drain then re-attach and refill. Of course some people have the innate desire to "do it better" due to their own subjective reasons but it makes zero difference. Now some shops use a vacuum system to check the cooling system for leaks and refill.

It's an engine. We're not making manufacturing microchips.

I've always done radiator drain/fills early on so no issues develop. Has worked well for me over a few decades. Lisle funnel makes it pretty easy! My 15 F150 is easy to drain but not so easy to burp. The Lisle funnel does a good job with that. 17 Outback and 12 RAV4 along with F150 get yearly drain/fills. Coolant pretty cheap and doesn't take a lot of effort or time.

I've had great luck with coolant related issues (not having them) in any car I've owned to date. The vehicles design along with better and longer lasting fluids sure have helped! My 97 Explorer went about 230k and still had original pump and radiator. I change out upper and lower hoses at about 150k preventatively. Similar results with other vhicles.

Reminds me of the line: The harder I practice the better my luck seems to get!

Back