Coolant Consumption 2019 Nissan Altima

I got the car back today. The dealership removed the old EGR cooler and found severe corrosion inside the fins. They are confident this is the cause of the coolant consumption.

IMG_20220420_114518.jpg

I wonder what the root cause of this is 🤔
This cooler getting too hot and putting stress on the coolant it can't handle(6.0 PS EGR cooler)?
Coolant chemistry?
Metallurgy?
Fins too small?
Errant cooling system debris coming loose and clogging the fins (think Hyundai crankcase debris)?
Did the bill cite a revised part number?

Last edited:
It could be leaking coolant into a cylinder and burning it when the engine is hot and operating. Pull the spark plugs. If that's happening, the cylinder it's happening in will be very clean compated to the other plugs.
Especially in cold weather the head gasket will contract and small cracks permit coolant to enter the cylinders and it is burned off upon start up. No indications anywhere this is happening except that you have to add coolant. Had this happen to me on a couple of vehicles. Does not show up in oil, pressure test is also fine etc.

I have a 2019 Nissan Altima 2.5L with 65k miles on the odo. I've owned the car since new. In the last 3 months, I've gone through 1.5 gallons of Nissan 50/50 coolant topping off the reservoir. The vehicle is consuming significantly more coolant in the last 3 months compared to the last 3 years since I owned the car. I performed a used oil analysis earlier this month and there is no evidence of antifreeze or water in the motor oil. The engine is actually showing little to no wear. I also replaced the radiator cap and checked for coolant leaks around the engine bay and underneath the vehicle. No coolant leaks anywhere. I am baffled why the car is consuming so much coolant. Driving habits haven't changed. 80% highway miles and 20% city driving.

Separately, my mother drives an identical 2019 Nissan Altima 2.5L that I maintain and her coolant reservoir doesn't get topped off nearly as often as mine. Her driving habits are 80% city and 20% highway.

Open to feedbacks and opinions.

-ttvr4
That coolant is obviously going somewhere. I'd be very concerned.

BC that's the way they are. I discuss problems here where most folks wont - they are embarassed and they think it reflects badly on them.
Wife's last Subaru was fantastic.

I am an mechanical engineer and a mechanic, so I tend to notice things. I trained myself to do this as part of the job.
Could be a curse :)
Subarus are hit & miss nowadays . I've never owned one but a friend was a huge fan till his last one burned so much oil he threw in the proverbial towel.

Back