coolant change from dex cool to G-05 type

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change my lucerne with 50,000 miles from dex cool to a g-05 type...My friend works at firestonse and I can get the system flushed/filld with Kameleon anti freeze from a company called safety kleen that claims all model coolant that is a g-05 according to the msds sheet..any thoughts on this good ,bad or indifferent..thanks

Use real G05. That stuff they use is supposed to be an All Makes All Models coolant to reduce shop inventory on hand. Maybe have them do the actual flush (assuming they really do it) but supply genuine coolant.

I’ve had good luck and zero cooling system issues with HOAT G-05 in Fords, Chryslers and M-B.

Never occurred to me to use the stuff in my GM vehicles, though.

After I managed to get the sludged death cool out of my Buick I replaced it with Peak Global Lifetime. Ordered it from NAPA.

If your car hasn't developed any issues on Dex, there's no real reason to change. But if you WERE to change, G05 is as good a choice as you could make.

There should be no problems as long as the system is flushed and all traces of the original coolant are cleaned out.
Might be just as well to get rid of a coolant known to cause problems for some users.

I'm fairly sure Khamelion coolant is actually some non-phosphate, non-silicate "universal" coolant that says it works in G05 systems.

I would use it in your GM since it is probably a match anyway.

even zerex who makes g-05 says if car is still under warranty(which it's not) to use dex cool, then it says if it's out of warranty uise g-05...what the real difference between g-05 and dex??

Switched my GMC Sierra over to Zerex G-05 five years ago. Did four or five flushes w/distilled water and dumped in the G-05. No issues have surfaced. Probably could have stayed with Dexcool, but didn't want to chance it after what I saw of it in my older van.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
what the real difference between g-05 and dex??

G-05 has silicates for quick corrosion protection, Dex doesn't

G-05 doesn't use 2 EHA as one of its organic acid components, Dex does.

G-05 has nitrites for cavitation protection (and carries several wet-liner Diesel engine approvals because of this), Dex doesn't

In OEM applications, G-05 is a 5-year, 50k mile coolant, Dex is longer (10/100 I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back