Coolant bypass filter on the cheap.

I'd like to run a bypass filter between heater hoses. Any idea on something that will remove rust and scale? Maybe something paper or cloth, like a metal canister fuel filter.
I see the 30 micron stainless pleated filters for under $30. I don't see how they would remove the discoloration from the coolant though.

I have a bypass coolant filter in my 4.0L Jeep Wrangler. It has a cast iron block/head and the previous owner didn't maintain the cooling system. After flushing it a few times, it will usually stay clean for a few months then get gross again. I added a bypass coolant filter in the heater hose circuit and it has worked awesome, the coolant is now very clean. I'm sure most here will say it isn't needed, and it likely isn't with a car that is regularly maintained, or one that has an aluminum block, but for my scenario it works well.

Here is a thread on my install:

I have / had one like that in my 6.5 diesel. Haven't had it running in a couple years though.
I should spring the coin I guess and put one like that in the 4.3
It's been sitting dry for a good while, so I know it is at least surface rusty.

I would be fine with it on an older designed system where the heater core was just in and out, not part of a complete coolant loop. I would hesitate to put it on something newer where the entire cooling system is part of a closed coolant loop - it might slow your flow down too much when its really hot.

Wix 24019

Filter is
Wix 24069, short,
Wix 24070, long…

Look on Rock Auto for good prices, but watch the shipping…

I put it in the supply line to the heater core…

Back