Converting Refector to projector Head Light assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen a Youtube video of people swapping out the refector and puting in projectors in there headlight assembly

Here is a great video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j9Pdq9qQCU

How to Retrofit A Headlight (1998-2002 Honda Accord 6th gen.)

My question does anyone know of one that will fit a 02 Honda Accord ?? Or Whom sells them..
The ones I see on Amazon all say for H1 and Im not sure on size. Perhaps someone here has done it and knows
what is best.
They guy in video is not very clear what what one to get?
Also he dont use a shroud so it looks weird to me. However his instructions are good.

any info would be nice.

Last edited:
The closest I've come to that was seeing HID inserts (light sources) to replace halogen lamps.
The hardware at the base came in H1, H7 and a few other standard configurations.

You're looking for replacement headlights. There's a sight which sold entire units. 'Twas "out with the old, in with the new" stuff but I do not remember if they featured projector beam style lights. Optics are expensive.

YOu can buy aftermarket projector assembles that use a halogen bulb, but they are built to a cheap price point.

Retrofitting a projector takes work. iirc, the 02 Accord uses 9006 low beams, so alignment is even harder.

Choice of projector will depend on budget, as well as dimensions of the headlight where you'll be putting the projector over the reflector and clearance behind.

The www.theretrofitsource.com "Mini H1" are popular for height restrictions. But the wire retention spring for the bulb leaves something to be desired, which TRS sells an upgraded retention mechanism.

Better to buy an aftermarket projector headlight assembly and use LED or HID bulbs in them. That's what I did for both of my Rams. Results are incredible. I can actually see at night.

If you're looking for a good H1 LED kit, Beamtech is as good as I have found. No fans, super bright.

I've used the morimoto projectors from TRS, twice. They are well made and the installs were straightforward.

The good. Well, it depends on how poor the existing lamps are. They were an improvement in the fog lamps in my old tundra, and well worth the effort. The chrome plating stayed intact, the lens was clear, the optics were focused and accurate.

The bad. I also put them in the headlights. too much foreground light and not early enough of a hotspot just under the cutoff. The result - great at 25 mph or in city - and poor on the highway, worse than oem. So after doing this to my headlights, I eventually pulled them back out and went back to oem halogen and just lived with sub-par headlamps. re-polishing the reflector (it had greyed) and seriously cleaning and clear-spraying the plastic front made more of a difference than anything else.

Morimoto supposedly has a new design with better distribution, and I might one day consider them again, but the pics on their website still show a nice, even wash of light on the walls in front of the their photo-op cars. Yes, the cutoff is precise. BUT, you don't want a nice smooth distribution on a vertical surface. You want that even distribution on a horizontal surface, and the two are not the same. Light is weaker farther away from the source, as it spreads, and so the hardest part of all of this is to get the quantity of light out, far out there, so that the road "appears" evenly lit from near to far. And you want to do this without it going up in the air and blinding others; it needs to be on the ground.

With what I've learned, I'll do everything I can to optimize the oem lamp before putting $ and effort into a conversion that ends up being less desirable.

that said, they were an improvement in the fogs I had, and I miss them. Wiring in the highbeam shutter to work with the headlights was cute, but didn't gain much. The Morimoto H1s didn't have much in reserve for the highs to open up. It was already being dumped into the foreground, where it wasn't needed.

-m

Last edited:
Thanks for all your info.. I think its best to just change the whole assembly.
Thank you all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back