Conventional Oil Change Intervals (Time)

2004 Silverado 4.3l Grocery Getter 45K miles.
Valvoline 10w-30 Conventional/Wix XP Oil filter, Good Catch Can.
Truck has ~1000 miles since February 2021 (7months).
Oil still *looks new.
I know the rule of thumb is change every 3 months or 3000 miles (whichever comes first) . But the oil still *looks new.
Do I Really Need to change the clean *looking oil with one K on it or is it a smart thing to wait another 1K+ miles?

TIA

Conventual?

Unless you short trip this thing a ton and live in cold climate, I'd say you could easily do annual changes.

You could do a UOA at 1 year and see if you could possibly go even longer.

Yep, AutoZone and O'Reillys Recommends 5w-30 Synthetic. I think the manual does too, but I forget.

This Truck sits a lot, sometimes 2 weeks. With 5w-30 it developed a small drip from what I'm guessin is the rear main seal. I changed to Conventional 10W-30 and the drip Completely stopped. Also the Blow By in the Catch Can went to about half. Also I'm thinkin the engine idles a little smoother.
I live in HOT climate.

Last edited:
This Truck sits a lot, sometimes 2 weeks.
Sitting for 2 weeks or even a month is not a problem as long as you let the engine warm up fully after you eventually start it up.

Code:
con·ven·tu·al

adjective: conventual

relating or belonging to a convent.

noun: conventual; plural noun: conventuals

a person who lives in or is a member of a convent.

Last edited:
Sitting for 2 weeks or even a month is not a problem as long as you let the engine warm up fully after you eventually start it up.

Code:
con·ven·tu·al

adjective: conventual

relating or belonging to a convent.

noun: conventual; plural noun: conventuals

a person who lives in or is a member of a convent.
Thanks, I'll change it! I never made it past the 3rd Grave!

Slow RMS leak? Switch to Valvoline MaxLife synthetic blend or even Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W30 and run it 5000 miles, or evan use the oil life monitor if it has one. Bet the leak stops! I’ve seen 4.3s go 300,000 plus on bulk slop, changed whenever. Edit:didn’t see 10W30 stopped it already.

Last edited:
Conventional oil is still being made? :unsure:
Shell, Valvoline, Mobil, Castrol...Yep, it's easy to get.
I got all the Shell I needed at Home Depot. My OReilly's has Valvoline on the shelf.
Home Depot has a fairly good Automotive Maintenance Department and it's less expensive than the auto parts stores. My HD only carries Fram filters though.

I change every 2-3 years on my 84. Top end is squeeky clean last time I popped the cover to check and oil always looks new despite a 1980s technology turbo and thrashing it.

Back