Controversial oil question

Other than weed whackers my 2 stroke experience was with a car. They said use Saab oil which if remember was 50:1 gas to oil, or #30 detergent motor oil at 32:1. One quart per 8 gals of gas, which was my choice. Just smoked more is all. Why the 2 cycle can be used much less per gallon I don’t know or really want to know, but I think the smoke is what it’s all about. Especially with weed whacking who wants to be inhaling more oil?
This was owners manual recommendation. There were no negative effects on engine life or lubrication to use 30 detergent motor oil. The whole thing was about smoke.

Last edited:
I use in my OPE what I use in my snowmobiles. Full synth. oils that are rated for both premix or oil injection.
Zero oil related issues for decades, still have OEM plugs in saws, blowers and weedwackers for many years just check gaps and go.
Sled engines normal operating RPM range is 4500 to 8000 rpm constantly and way larger displacements and multi cylinders ranging from 340cc to 850cc. Some current engines like Rotax Etec's are DI motors.
Use the 2 stroke specific oils and E0 for max life, using 4s oils isn't worth saving a few bucks vs long term engine life.
2 stoke engine failures are mostly from plugged carbs. or vacuum leaks causing lean fuel mixture piston burning. Lots of piston replacement experience from back in the '80's on that issue in sleds.
Wrong oils will result in rings gumming up and sticking not to mention carbon build up in exhaust system or fouling plugs.
Currently using Klotz full synth. but have used other brands and OEM oils also. $45 bucks a gallon seems to be the norm but in the snowmobiles and the cost of engines the last thing you need is a issue on cheaping out on oils.
Little under 50cc motors love quality oils and will repay you with a long life. Even those under 50 hour EPA rated ones.
And yes back in the late '60's I pumped 8 gals. of gas with a qt. of ND 30w into Saab gas tanks. Have a neighbor with one of those old Saab's and with modern synth. oil it doesn't smoke or smell like the old days.

Back