Continuing Education...

Just wrapped up my Bachelor's in Avation Maintenence Management. I also have OEM training from Pilatus, MD, General Atomics, Boeing, and a semester at the Kremenchug Flight College for maintenace theory on Mil helicopters.

What would you do? Continue on to a Master's in Aviation Safety?

Or switch gears and grab an Associates in something "for me?" Something not as career focused.

Continuing would make you stand out.

I have a friend in the same field who didn’t do so well during COVID.

3 years ago I think we all would have agreed aviation was a solid career.

Unless someone is going to pay you for it don't bother getting more paper. I don't know how the aviation business is but in the electrical world around here no one cares unless you know specifically about what they have to work on.

Are you wanting to get into management ?

Is your employer paying for your Masters degree ?

I have my B.S. in an aviation field as well, only instead of maintenance certs, mine is aircraft dispatch. I work in project management for Boeing and have been pondering this same scenario, actually. I'm contemplating a technical Masters, as I already have the "business" side covered with my Bachelors. The one I'm looking at is the Master of Systems Engineering through Embry-Riddle's online program. I might recommend the same (ie: technical focus), if you're looking at career advancement.

Last edited:
Impressive accomplishments so far(y)

What do you want to do? I am a fan of MBA's or similar on top of technical degrees and experience; helps the path to management should you choose, gives perspective and insight to business operations and decisions, and is a differentiator versus most MBA's. But again, what do you want to do when you grow up?

Last edited:
Impressive accomplishments so far(y)

What do you want to do? I am a fan of MBA's or similar on top of technical degrees and experience; helps the path to management should you choose, gives perspective and insight to business operations and decisions, and is a differentiator versus most MBA's. But again, what do you want to do when you grow up?
When I grow up? Smoke a bunch of pot and paint all day. 🤣

In the meantime, I've been putting resumes in with the FAA for an ASI position.

A Master's Degree is a terrific recovery when there are no other good career options. No matter your credentials there can be lean times in any industry. But they don't last and if you're coming out the other side with both experience and a brand new advanced degree, you suddenly have options.

I have my B.S. in an aviation field as well, only instead of maintenance certs, mine is aircraft dispatch. I work in project management for Boeing and have been pondering this same scenario, actually. I'm contemplating a technical Masters, as I already have the "business" side covered with my Bachelors. The one I'm looking at is the Master of Systems Engineering through Embry-Riddle's online program. I might recommend the same (ie: technical focus), if you're looking at career advancement.
Great advice. But I am biased as I received an advanced degree in Aerospace Science from ERAU. ERAU has one of the better Aircraft and or Aerospace Systems degree programs. (y)

I don't know the current situation at Boeing or at Collins Aerospace, but being an Aerospace Scientist allowed me to float among various commercial and military programs.

I'm lucky. In 2019 I left military contracting and joined an Air Medical Transport provider.

Made the right move at the right time.
A bit off topic, but I always assumed that would have been the hospital itself? I didn’t realize there were 3rd parties.

Around here at least, the 2 big ones have their names and color schemes on the side. I assume the hospital owns them.

A bit off topic, but I always assumed that would have been the hospital itself? I didn’t realize there were 3rd parties.

Around here at least, the 2 big ones have their names and color schemes on the side. I assume the hospital owns them.
Very few hospitals run their own transport because of the massive complexity and costs.

I work for the largest provider in the US and we have 450+ helicopters. Our services are broken down into two primary categories: Hospital and Community.

The Hospital program birds you'll see with the Hospital branding and livery. If you look closely you'll usually find the comapny logo somewhere too. Here we provide the aircraft, pilots, and mechanics and they provide the medical personnel.

Community programs vary but are typically negotiated with the county they're in. These are usually company branded and we handle everything from medical personnel to billing.

Not sure where you're at in Indiana but IU Health LifeLine and Memorial Medflight are operated by Metro Aviation, Parkview Samaritan and Lutheran Air are operated by Air Methods, and St. Vincent StatFlight is PHI Aviation.

Just wrapped up my Bachelor's in Avation Maintenence Management. I also have OEM training from Pilatus, MD, General Atomics, Boeing, and a semester at the Kremenchug Flight College for maintenace theory on Mil helicopters.

What would you do? Continue on to a Master's in Aviation Safety?

Or switch gears and grab an Associates in something "for me?" Something not as career focused.
Once the kids move out I'm going to go for my ME "just because", so I say, why not? Nothing wrong with more education. May do nuclear engineering after I do ME, we'll see.

A Master's Degree is a terrific recovery when there are no other good career options. No matter your credentials there can be lean times in any industry. But they don't last and if you're coming out the other side with both experience and a brand new advanced degree, you suddenly have options.
Have you tried getting into any program during "lean time"?

I've tried back in dot com bust, everyone who would have qualified for MIT went to a state school instead, and those who would have qualified into state schools ended up not getting in.

Have you tried getting into any program during "lean time"?

I've tried back in dot com bust, everyone who would have qualified for MIT went to a state school instead, and those who would have qualified into state schools ended up not getting in.
That's exactly what I did. I had been awarded a National Research Scholarship when I graduated from engineering and I had 5 years in which to take it up. It paid about half of what I had been making as an engineer (which was the top salary in my class at the time of graduation).

After a year in the workforce I took up my scholarship and started a Master's program. And that was during a massive downturn. There were thousands of unemployed engineers in Canada at the time.

I went back to my alma mater by preference. In Canada there is not a lot of focus on attending a so called prestige school.

Back