Container ships galore off coast of L.A.

So this came up in a previous thread I had regarding appliance shortage, basically due to increased shipments and covid there is a wait to get into the LA area cargo ports.

Visited family this past weekend in LA area and we did two quick day jaunts to Huntington, Newport and Laguna Beach. The number of cargo ships visible from the beach was eye popping, I would easily say 30-40 ships that I could see from the drive up and from the pier in Huntington. If you are close to the area its definitely worth a drive to witness all the cargo ships anchored off shore.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/california-port-pileup-leaves-old-records-in-the-dust

IMG_4140.jpg

For a lot of folks who are in otherwise OK financial shape stimulus checks go to buying discretionary goods. And an awful lot of these come from Asia.

So this came up in a previous thread I had regarding appliance shortage, basically due to increased shipments and covid there is a wait to get into the LA area cargo ports.

Visited family this past weekend in LA area and we did two quick day jaunts to Huntington, Newport and Laguna Beach. The number of cargo ships visible from the beach was eye popping, I would easily say 30-40 ships that I could see from the drive up and from the pier in Huntington. If you are close to the area its definitely worth a drive to witness all the cargo ships anchored off shore.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/california-port-pileup-leaves-old-records-in-the-dust

View attachment 48797
Wow, that's a lot of cargo waiting to be off loaded!

This can happen pretty often with port worker strikes and other regular events. I am sure during the time of negative oil price last year this happened with oil tankers off Golf of Mexico as well.

Not enough truck drivers at the port there in LA to move the stuff fast enough, with wait times in the hours to get loaded and out of the port.

Back