Consumer Lawn tractors with durable hydrostatic drive.

I have a friend who owns a repair facility and also sells equipment and trailers. I asked him a couple months ago why he stopped carrying mowers, he replied that he hasnt stopped, he just cant get any.

My 2004 John Deere L111, 42" 20HP B&S twin is doing very well at ~ 220 hours. My only concerned is ther is NO easy way to change the transmission oil without removing the transmission. Ed

I have a Troy Bilt Pony (MTD) 17.5 Briggs motor that IMO is pretty decent except for the crappy Nikki carburetor. I had to rebuild it already, but I bought it used and is a 2018 model. It has a metal tranny though.

Same old internet miss information. First off I don't know about the past. But as of 2021 there is no such thing as a "Box store John Deere".
What the "Box stores" sell is the EXACT SAME THING, that the John Deere dealers sell. It does come with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, or if memory is correct 120 hours what ever comes first, that is for the S100. The Transaxles used to be made from plastic, and I think other brands used them as well. All JD tractors all have a metal transaxle now. And like anyother make out there if the transaxle manufacture would have used the correct metals, they would last a long time, and there would be no reason for extra wheel weights if you need that sort of thing. But then of course the price would go up to probably 4 times the cost they are now (for the transaxle).

I myself have a John Deere S240 and I really like it.

its a step down from the 300 series but its better the 100 series models they sell at lowes or home depot.

comes with the 18hp vtwin Kawasaki engine and the Tufftorq transmission

my parents have a x300 JD with over 800 hrs which has the same engine and transmission and mower deck, its just a step up from mine, I'm guessing a different chassis and bigger gas tank etc

but the S240 does have the option for a snowblower and also a bagger system.

the S240 is around 2600 bucks at a dealer

How much area is being mowed? I would definitely spend more money upfront on a quality machine.

Same old internet miss information. First off I don't know about the past. But as of 2021 there is no such thing as a "Box store John Deere".
What the "Box stores" sell is the EXACT SAME THING, that the John Deere dealers sell. It does come with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, or if memory is correct 120 hours what ever comes first, that is for the S100. The Transaxles used to be made from plastic, and I think other brands used them as well. All JD tractors all have a metal transaxle now. And like anyother make out there if the transaxle manufacture would have used the correct metals, they would last a long time, and there would be no reason for extra wheel weights if you need that sort of thing. But then of course the price would go up to probably 4 times the cost they are now (for the transaxle).
I think they are called Box store Deeres because the 100 series is the only line sold at the box stores. You can definitely buy a 100 series at a dealer, but most seem to buy them at a box store.

Contrary to popular belief, they are 100% made by John Deere, not by MTD or some other manufacturer. The 100 series replaced the Scotts tractors that Deere used to make.

There are basically no Deere to buy.

Ag-Pro seems to have all the Deere dealers anywhere near. They said their entire next shipment is presold. Said could have an s130 or S240 42” in November maybe.

I feel like the S240 is the sweet spot but there aren’t any available until Nov and you’re in it for 3 grand by the time you buy a bagger…

There are a few Cub Cadet around. These are MTD and use the TT200 “light duty” hydrostatic.

The local Husky dealer had an unsold TS142 on his Sept shipment so that’s what it is. This has the K46 from what I can find. Should be a better mower than the CC. Hoping the craftsman bag will fit.

Re the area to mow, not large probably around 1/2 an acre of grass…

From what I understand, the Tufftorq transmissions are generally fine but the fluid and the lack of an easy way to drain and refill is the main problem. Here's my experience from a few years back. I'm still using this mower.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/hydrostatic-transaxle-service.251871/

1629713936877.png

So small update...

The TS142 never came, it keeps getting pushed back. Deere supply is loosening up, there are some s100, s120 and s160 to be had.

Husky dealer has a YTH24K48 which has the larger deck and a Kohler 7000 series also seems to use the K46, the Deere until the S180 (IIRC) seem to use the TL200. Looks like it is going to be the YTH, it is being offered for not a ton more than the TS142... Husky dealer will give at least some trade value on the Craftsman too.

We have a Husqvarna 42" cut with the hydro stat. Must be about about 10 years old now. Mows great turns quick and changes direction very quickly. We got it from a local farm equipment dealer instead of a big box store. Salesman there knew what he was selling so my wife drove it around on his field and loved it. I thought the model with the Koehler would be the best one but the salesman told us that they had been having problems with the Koehler and not with the Briggs. We bought the Briggs. has only had the deck belt replaced once and the blades once. but of course, 2 batteries. I would tell you to go to a local dealer to buy a mower. That way you know the quality and if replacement parts are available.

I am still using a 1997 Murray/Scotts Home Depot 42inch that is 24 yrs old.Did not expect the Peerless transaxle to last that long.Changed transmission oil once in it.The 15 hp Kohler Command still runs fine.I learned not to ever use the brake pedal as it seemed to kick off the drive belt when disengaged.Front tires are bald, all tires have tubes in them.This on a 2 1/2 acre lot that gets approximately 1 acre cut at a time in Florida where you can see the grass grow in the summer.I never wash it as the water seems to get trapped in the deck spindle bearings.

Back