Considering XD-3 0W30 for Volvo turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

After reading BITOG for a few months, I've realized oil talk can spin one's head like no other automotive discussion I've encountered.
freak2.gif

I have an '89 Volvo turbo; 125,000 miles driven about 6K miles/yr. Currently using Castrol GTX 10W30 but consumption seems a bit high @ 3/4L/1500 miles. I've been doing a 6 month OCI due to short trips.

This is wifey's car and is VERY gradually warmed up (explicit instructions from mechanic). Maybe once every 3 months gets a long highway drive. Climate in my area is very mild and we might see one week of -5C (23F). Car is garage kept.

I am considering getting switching to the 0W30 Esso XD-3 but I understand fuel dilution/water contamination via short trips may eliminate/reduce the benefits of synthetic.

Is it worth it to switch to XD-3 and if so, what OCI is recommended? I can get the XD-3 for $4.28/L or $3.40USD.

njc,

It's a hard sell to tell a guy that has successfully put 125K on his automobile that his turbo really needs syn, but it does (I think your current rate of consumption supports that claim because I believe had you used syn your consumption, barring mechanical issues, would not be so high). The XD-3 is an excellent choice and I believe that despite the short trips you could go 7500 mile/1 yr OCIs because you would be replacing about 4 litres of oil per change, in effect doing a change within a change. Now, do you REALLY want to consume 8 or 9 litres per OCI? I really think you have two choices: (1) do a double ARX treatment and then start using syn hoping the ARX would cut your consumption down and still go with 7500K/1 yr OCIs or you could just stick with the regimen that has gotten you to 125K albeit with higher consumption than I'd like to see.

I'm from BC, too and drive a Volvo 850 turbo. If you haven't, suggest you try the Auto-Rx clean-rinse treatment. I ordered from the ARX website and had it shipped to Pt. Roberts and drove down to pick it up and declare it. For a good oil, I am now using Chevron Delo 5W-40 synthetic which is recommended for turbos. It's cheaper than M1 (which I used since new) and other synths - about $4/qt. It is only available at Chevron. Try the one at Grauer Rd under the Laing bridge to the airport. 16 qts is only $75 + taxes. You have to buy by the box. Hope this helps.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
njc,

It's a hard sell to tell a guy that has successfully put 125K on his automobile that his turbo really needs syn, but it does (I think your current rate of consumption supports that claim because I believe had you used syn your consumption, barring mechanical issues, would not be so high). The XD-3 is an excellent choice and I believe that despite the short trips you could go 7500 mile/1 yr OCIs because you would be replacing about 4 litres of oil per change, in effect doing a change within a change. Now, do you REALLY want to consume 8 or 9 litres per OCI? I really think you have two choices: (1) do a double ARX treatment and then start using syn hoping the ARX would cut your consumption down and still go with 7500K/1 yr OCIs or you could just stick with the regimen that has gotten you to 125K albeit with higher consumption than I'd like to see.

I've only had the car just over one year (about 7K miles) and the full maintenaince history is unclear. Up to around 80K it seemed to get 5K OCI.

But 125K on these Volvo engines seems to be easily attainable if servivced properly ... so I'm hoping to get 200K miles.

When I bought the car the car it had a recent oil changes of Castrol 15W40--which made it through 3K miles on 3/4L. 15W40 dino would probably be my other choice but I thought the XD-3 0W30 (being a thick 30W) would reduce consumption over a 10W30 Castrol.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
njc,

Exactly the right answer.
worshippy.gif

125k? That '89 is barely broken in.

Still, I'd do a double ARX run (especially if you don't know its history), followed by a synthetic 40 weight. Delvac 5w-40 comes to mind. Your time OCI is perfect. That is the best prescription for that engine, which is not all that fond of 30 weights.

BTW, I see a lot of ARX fans. I've never used but what do you see as an advantage?

The head was done about 60K miles ago and looking in oil filler cap, it looks very clean; IE I'm not worried about cleaning off varnish.

Stuck rings? Compression was 120-130 done cold ... so it might be a bit low.

The advantge for Auto-RX in your case would be to possibly reduce the relativly high rate of consumption by cleaning the ring packs. The down side is very small!

Auto-Rx reduced the oil consumption in my '96 850 turbo from a quart every 2500-3000 miles to near zero. The engine also feels peppier and the turbo boost gauge climbs faster when I mash the throttle.

I like a syn 5W-40 oil in Volvo engines, especially if they have some miles on them. The 5W is fine in our winters, the 40 is fine in summer, and the 40 also helps reduce oil consumption. The syn helps keep the hot turbocharger bearings in good condition. With a couple of oil analyses for confirmation, I'd go 10,000 miles or 1-year oil drain interval (using Mann filters).

Ken

That kind of oil consumption is usually a leak somewhere in the B230's. I had 280K plus miles on my old motor (87 745T) and was using less than 1/2 a quart per 3000 mile oil change. Now that was once I fixed all the leaks. The biggest culprit is usually the oil return tube on the turbo. It has a paper gasket at the turbo and an O ring at the engine block. My new B230FT has 42K miles on it and I run Mobil 1 10W30 and 3 oz of Auto-RX and have zero oil consumption and one very clean motor. The benefit of using Auto-Rx in your motor at 125K is it will at least clean out the Turbo oiling system. Many of these Turbos get a type of oil sludge many mechanics call oil turds that coat the piping. It cuts the oil flow to and from your turbo charger.

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
The benefit of using Auto-Rx in your motor at 125K is it will at least clean out the Turbo oiling system. Many of these Turbos get a type of oil sludge many mechanics call oil turds that coat the piping. It cuts the oil flow to and from your turbo charger.

I definitely see ARX as a benefit if can clean out the return line.

I'm getting a bit of oil spun into the intake - not much but enough to coat the hoses with oil - and I suspect the return line is a bit clogged.

AS per oil leaks, the return line is leaking where it connects to the block as are a few other spots. They are very minor though - IE nothing ever drips onto the driveway.

I live right below you and we get more of the Fraser river winter blasts straight down care of Nanook than Vancouver metro.

What do I use in my 1985 245 Volvo turbo? 15W-40! Albeit synthetic. The car cranks and goes fine. 255K miles. Indeed at 125K miles - your engine is a BABY.

I second the call for AutoRx and using synthetic for the sake of the turbo.

All this said the XD will work fine. Most synthetic oils will work fine in that engine - it's the turbo that will croak first if lousy oil is extended to long. I have seen outlet (and some oil inlet tubes) that look like the arteries of a 530 pound bacon eating contest winner. Nearly clogged - with just nasty, gritty coke crap.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
That is the best prescription for that engine, which is not all that fond of 30 weights.

Your comment is interesting and seems spot on. As mentioned, when I bought the car it was filled with Castrol 15W40. Consumption about 3/4L @ 3K. When I went to GTX 10W30, the winter oil change it was ~3/4L over 2.5K and now at 3/4L @ 1.5K.

The XD-3 0W30 is 12.1 cST so it's slightly thicker than the 11 cST GTX 10W30. Plus I want to try it since it seems to be a decent synth at a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back