Considering 2019 VW Jetta

my take, owning a 2.5 passat, having test driven the 2.0 nonturbo, 1.8 and 1.4 jetta. 2.slow/simple really wasn't bad. 1.8 is a hoot. 1.4 runs out of steam on the highway. the redesigned 2019 jetta doesn't feel as tight as the 2018. vw sedans depreciate like rocks. if a passat is too big or a golf too pricey, i would buy a cpo jetta, 2018 being the sweet spot for a lower price, better suspension and super long warranty.

Originally Posted by jstert
my take, owning a 2.5 passat, having test driven the 2.0 nonturbo, 1.8 and 1.4 jetta. 2.slow/simple really wasn't bad. 1.8 is a hoot. 1.4 runs out of steam on the highway. the redesigned 2019 jetta doesn't feel as tight as the 2018. vw sedans depreciate like rocks. if a passat is too big or a golf too pricey, i would buy a cpo jetta, 2018 being the sweet spot for a lower price, better suspension and super long warranty.

Since we're looking at used, I will check out 2018 models, but wife is not too keen on the interior styling. Personally I can go either way. But if it drives better and is a bit quieter, then that would be a plus.
The 2019s we tested were pretty good on the highway and I took one on a more choppy part of the highway. Can't hurt to try the previous gen out.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The transmission is made in Japan by Borg Warner. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wrong, it's Aisin

Since others have brought it up, you can get a lightly used previous generation for a bargain. I just saw a 2017 Jetta S with 36K miles for $11,000. Also of note, I have driven both the MKVI and MKVII Jetta and I believe the MKVI does handle better. They feel more planted.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by skyactiv
The transmission is made in Japan by Borg Warner. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Aisin (Toyota). And most manufacturers that use that tranny. had/have issues except BMW (1 and 2 series with transverse engines). For VW was programming though not as bad as Toyota.

I think any brand is better than Toyota when it comes to programming transmission.

Toyota had other issues with AWD models and that transmission, not only programming.
And yes, Toyota is simply awful in programming transmissions.

Back