Considering 2017 Ford F-150: problems to look for?

Hello all, I am considering a 2017 F-150 3.5L ecoboost with 107k miles on it for my DD; I only drive 8 miles to work and back and just mess around town/beach with the kids and wife on the weekends. I feel it is priced fairly for the options it has. It's a Lariat with leather and all the goodies.

Anything in particular to lookout for with these trucks? According to the Carfax, it has been maintained by a local Ford dealer at regular intervals. I do see where the "camshaft(s) were replaced or repaired" at 50k and 70k miles. Everything else seems fine. I am going to look at the truck tomorrow but wanted to get opinions here first.

Thanks in advance.

Believe the 3.5 Ecoboost has the internal water pump so keep an eye on the coolant if it gets dirty change it, if it gets dirty again you know the water pump is bad is what a Ford mechanic that I know told me about those 3.5 engines. He said it’s best to catch it early because it will damage the engine if you don’t catch it in time.

Hello all, I am considering a 2017 F-150 3.5L ecoboost with 107k miles on it for my DD; I only drive 8 miles to work and back and just mess around town/beach with the kids and wife on the weekends. I feel it is priced fairly for the options it has. It's a Lariat with leather and all the goodies.

Anything in particular to lookout for with these trucks? According to the Carfax, it has been maintained by a local Ford dealer at regular intervals. I do see where the "camshaft(s) were replaced or repaired" at 50k and 70k miles. Everything else seems fine. I am going to look at the truck tomorrow but wanted to get opinions here first.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at this: https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2017/

Ed

2017 and up 3.5 EcoBoost gave both DI and port injection which lessened the fuel dilution in the oil. I have 60,000 miles on my 2017 and have had zero problems I've done about 5 Blackstone oil analisis and they have been fine except one for which I just let the truck idle to warm the oil instead of driving it not that is the end all of analysis and only provides a snapshot of the oil at that time. I do 5000 mile oil changes with Castrol Magnatech 5-30. Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase.

There is a new field service action for the 3.5 ecoboost cam phasers; I think it is 21B210. It involves programming and replacement, if needed.

Otherwise, paging @bdcardinal

I have a 2017 F-150 ecoboost 3.5L with the 10-speed transmission. I only have 30K miles but it has been trouble free. Once a week I "exercise the turbos" to max boost. A ford Master Mechanic said to do this so the gates open 100% and don't stick. Plus this brings much joy to me when that Ecoboost is at max power!!!

2017 is a changer over year for powertrain. You get the Gen 2 3.5 ecoboost with dual fuel injection (port and direct) and the first offering of the 10 spd transmission. Both desirable upgrades over the 15-16 models. Cam phasers or timing chain rattle on start up seem to be the complaint on this engine. As stated before there is a computer reflash to attempt to fix and if it doesn't then a replacement.

I wouldn't be scared of the engine but I would look at a Ford extended warranty. Not everyone had this issue and there doesn't seem to be a time frame of mileage or age that it has to get to to have this problem. Do good maintenance and 5-6 thousand miles for your oil changes and drive it. And yes, WOT from time to time, the ecoboost was meant to drive not baby.

The water pump is in fact external on all the rear wheel drive 3.5 cyclone and EcoBoost applications.

I would try to cold start it and listen for timing chain rattle. From what we have seen the new "improved" gen 2 EcoBoost has had more timing chain and phaser rattles than the Gen 1 did. Other than that the drivetrain is pretty solid. I would pick the ecoboost over the 5.0 for reliability on the newer models as the 5.0 is now a known user of oil.

As with any recent Ford be prepared for APIM issues. That's the computer that runs the infotainment center and if it has not been replaced yet it will almost certainly go out.

2017 is the first year production of the second generation 3.5 Ecoboost engine. This engine went to 2 timing chains, a big improvement. The popular belief that this engine has an internal water pump is fiction. It has an external water pump. Check it over good before buying. If you are not going to be doing a lot of towing, the 2.7 Ecoboost would be a better choice.

There is a new field service action for the 3.5 ecoboost cam phasers; I think it is 21B210. It involves programming and replacement, if needed.

Otherwise, paging @bdcardinal
21B10 is a PCM reprogram for the phaser rattle. As of when I am typing this, dealers have been instructed to not perform this recall until durther notice. There are reports that the latest calibration may cause transmission shift shudder.

Update: it's a MAJOR pass for me. The truck was spotless inside and out and the price was right. Cold start was perfect and engine was smooth while idling. First heads up for me was that the CEL was on (not shown in online pictures of course) and realizing this could be on for a multitude of reasons and realizing I am looking at a higher mileage truck, I proceeded with the test drive. When I turned on to the feeder road in front of the dealership I gave it some real gas and I felt an immediate vibration throughout the entire cabin, shuttering with each shift, and very noticeable hesitation; and then clunking with each shift of the transmission. The CEL then began blinking with each hard acceleration. The salesperson and I didn't go very far.
Needless to say it was a pass for me. Seems there are some real issues with these 10 speed transmissions. This was a GMC dealership and he said they're either going to send it to Ford or to an auction.

So, the search continues. Thank you all for your genuine words and advice.

Update: it's a MAJOR pass for me. The truck was spotless inside and out and the price was right. Cold start was perfect and engine was smooth while idling. First heads up for me was that the CEL was on (not shown in online pictures of course) and realizing this could be on for a multitude of reasons and realizing I am looking at a higher mileage truck, I proceeded with the test drive. When I turned on to the feeder road in front of the dealership I gave it some real gas and I felt an immediate vibration throughout the entire cabin, shuttering with each shift, and very noticeable hesitation; and then clunking with each shift of the transmission. The CEL then began blinking with each hard acceleration. The salesperson and I didn't go very far.
Needless to say it was a pass for me. Seems there are some real issues with these 10 speed transmissions. This was a GMC dealership and he said they're either going to send it to Ford or to an auction.

This was a vehicle with over 100,000 miles with unknown service and driver history. It's not fair to say all the 10 speeds are bad. If the dealer in question even put this vehicle on their used car lot-it's a reason not to buy anything used vehicle from them, because it shouldn't be for sale in that condition.

This was a vehicle with over 100,000 miles with unknown service and driver history. It's not fair to say all the 10 speeds are bad. If the dealer in question even put this vehicle on their used car lot-it's a reason not to buy anything used vehicle from them, because it shouldn't be for sale in that condition.
I don't think all 10 speeds are bad, that statement was just from a quick Google search that brought up quite a bit of info and owner complaints. I knew going in this was a higher mileage truck and there could be issues. This is why I would never buy a vehicle sight unseen.

You're right! This is a very established dealership with a good reputation in my area; can't believe they put it on the lot like that.

Updated reply:

That's a potential steal of a deal in the making. Run diagnostics. Get the codes. If it's just bad gas or a sensor issue... Some of my best used purchases were the dealerships problem child cars that just needed an hour of simple shade tree loving.

Original:

Solid trucks.

Routine used car crap to check like drivability issues, maint records, ownership history, accident history, tire condition, etc. Doubt there's any rust with aluminum body and a young frame but look under it anyway to see any fluid leaks.

Oh, it really should have a 5.0 in it. Put a supercharger and some long tubes on *that*.

There are known driver complaints for the 10 speed being a rough shifter. It seems to vary widely. Ive gone through bouts with mine but when it’s right, it’s right. The CEL could be a dead giveaway of an easy fix that corrects all of it, but its really odd to me that the dealer didn’t pay their own techs to fix it to fetch top dollar and save haggling with the customer, unless it’s a pricey fix they don’t want to deal with.

but, I would have done the same thing. I like to know what I’m getting up front, and not dream of what it could be. It could be an easy fix, or it could be a nightmare, and it could be a repeat offender the previous owner is fed up with.

Previous owner could have loaded some half baked canned "radicool toon" from Pooperchips or Diablow that isn't quite right for the 10 speed. Pull the battery cables and reset the pcm. Do the throttle relearn. If no change then flash it back to stock.

I love these kind of deals when it actually turns out to be something simple.

My fiancé has a 2017 F150 but it has the 5.0 and 6 speed transmission. She only has about 28,000 miles on hers but so far it's been trouble free.

Plugs. While it feels like a transmission issue, my guess is that it has original plugs with the gap open way wider than stock. Tuned trucks can go through plugs in 20k miles. I would read the codes and if it’s misfire codes, consider getting a steal on that truck, by replacing the plugs. Very common.

Used car tech probably pulled it into his bay, did an oil change and a basic safety inspection. Never scanned or test drove the truck.

Back