Considering 2017 Ford F-150: problems to look for?

Plugs. While it feels like a transmission issue, my guess is that it has original plugs with the gap open way wider than stock. Tuned trucks can go through plugs in 20k miles. I would read the codes and if it’s misfire codes, consider getting a steal on that truck, by replacing the plugs. Very common.
Interesting you say that. The dealership called me this morning and said the truck was at their sister Ford dealership being diagnosed, but that it was NOT the transmission. He said he would keep me updated as he should have more info on what the problem was by Monday. We’ll see...

Sounds like a misfire. Could be as simple as plugs, boots, coils.

When I go to car shop for myself or friends/ family, I bring a Bluetooth Bosch OBD-II scanner with me. Any trouble, or missing I/M monitors is a hard, instant pass. That MIL light may come on dozens or hundreds of miles later and be very costly if you're not mechanically inclined.

Update 2: they called me back today and said the Ford dealership diagnosed it as bad spark plugs. They replaced them all and he said the truck is “back to normal and runs perfect”.

Needing advice here. It’s a SWEET truck, and I realize the mileage is high (107k) but I hear these powertrains are mostly solid.

What would you guys do? I plan to drive it again tomorrow.

Man this is totally your call, and there’s some polarization on used ecoboosts. I’d not buy one if it looked modded. They are generally solid, solid drivetrains, but also very complex. I really like our ‘18, and even though it’s had hiccups, I like it enough that I wouldn’t want a different truck. Handles well, quiet in the cab, tows like a hoss, and seems reasonably well sorted.

that engine isn’t going to like 8 mile round trips, but you’re also in TX where it won’t be in a cold climate. The fuel mileage of commuting in a full-size won’t be bad at those distances.

chances are you may uncover some other hiccups over the first year but if you address them it will be a nice vehicle.

have you driven the 2.7? I actually prefer it, but the 3.5 is solid and has its own benefits.

Man this is totally your call, and there’s some polarization on used ecoboosts. I’d not buy one if it looked modded. They are generally solid, solid drivetrains, but also very complex. I really like our ‘18, and even though it’s had hiccups, I like it enough that I wouldn’t want a different truck. Handles well, quiet in the cab, tows like a hoss, and seems reasonably well sorted.

that engine isn’t going to like 8 mile round trips, but you’re also in TX where it won’t be in a cold climate. The fuel mileage of commuting in a full-size won’t be bad at those distances.

chances are you may uncover some other hiccups over the first year but if you address them it will be a nice vehicle.

have you driven the 2.7? I actually prefer it, but the 3.5 is solid and has its own benefits.
I haven’t driven the 2.7, but have been researching it a bit and owners seem to really like it. I’m going to test drive a 5.0 today also.

I haven’t driven the 2.7, but have been researching it a bit and owners seem to really like it. I’m going to test drive a 5.0 today also.
You might want to drive them all before you decide. I actually liked the 2.7L the best but all of the Lariats with adaptive cruise control in my area had the 3.5L or the 5.0L.

+1 on your own call/ head.

A new to you used vehicle of any stripe can be ditched primarily for first major service interval. So have tools, supplies or a sturdy checkbook going into anything.

Expect at least fluids, filters and ignition.

Be prepared for drivetrain, AC, accessories...that power recall seat and mirror switch that appears to be dead, etc.

Nobody ditches a solid driver.

Truck is fixed so it's a contender now. Look at a couple but don't drag your feet because the market is pretty hot. Buy what you like. 107k is high miles?

Back