Connect PC directly to fibre optic modem?

My internet service provider (Acanac) orignally had me on DSL, last year they switched me over to coaxial cable and a month ago ran a fibre optic line to my house.

The fibre optic cable terminates in a Nokia modem and there is a ethernet cable from this modem feeding a TPLink Deco WiFi modem. I tried connecting my PC directly to the Nokia modem with an ethernet cable and it does not work.

The Nokia modem converts the light signal in the fibre optic cable to electrical signals. Why does it not go one step futher and output a signal that my PC can use?

Also, I have both units in my bedroom and turn them off at night because of the bright leds and also for energy conservation. The two modems get quite warm and I estimate they are putting out at least 10W of heat. Will this switching off everyday cause any issues?

can you give us the model numbers.

and Did you restart the modem and computer when you plugged them in?
I would normally suggest to always leave the modem on but Its not required.

Giving us the model numbers of the equipment will allow a better correct answer.

Likely the tp link is functioning as a wireless router and the other is the modem to convert your incoming fiber.

Your computer could need restarted to pull a new IP address.. and the fiber modem might need restarted to talk to the new mac address of the computer's network card.

I am assuming the TPLink Delco is a wireless router that you own? Did you ever have to provide your ISP something called a MAC address of this device?

Have you tried restarting the Nokia ONT after connecting your PC directly? A lot of the time with the modem/ONT will only allow one node/device's MAC per IP lease.

I am assuming the TPLink Delco is a wireless router that you own? Did you ever have to provide your ISP something called a MAC address of this device?

Have you tried restarting the Nokia ONT after connecting your PC directly? A lot of the time with the modem/ONT will only allow one node/device's MAC per IP lease.
You might want to break that down a little more. The OP appears (no offense intended) to have limited knowledge of these types of equipment

to George:
Your TP link is the wireless router that gives you WIFI and lets you have more than 1 device connected to your internet.

The Nokia ONT: is a device that takes the signal from the fiber and converts it for output through the ethernet cable to the TPLINK router (not a modem)

The TPLink Deco was sent to me by Acanac, the ISP, in anticipation of the switchover to fibre optic. I did not have to provide a MAC address.

I will try restarting my PC after connecting to Nokia.

The TPLink Deco was sent to me by Acanac, the ISP, in anticipation of the switchover to fibre optic. I did not have to provide a MAC address.

I will try restarting my PC after connecting to Nokia.
if you are going to do that also restart the Nokia.

Good idea OP. The wireless router may be on an "approved" devices list that your Nokia ONT references. Some ISPs do this with the equipment.

You may need to login into the router settings page enable and setup the DHCP this allows your pc to obtain an ip address from the router. Also just keep the equipment on not necessary you’re only making the equipment need to re-communicate with each other again and your isp. The equipment most likely uses the same or more energy to boot back up and is more efficient just running over time.

This is likely the problem ^^^

The ONT may only allow one dynamic public IP and it was already taken by your WiFi router. If you want multiple devices to be able to connect to the internet, you'll probably have to leave your WiFi router in place.

We recentky hooked up to ImOn (Fiber optics directly to WIFI) and one of my computers (in the basement) is hardwired via a CATX cable to one of the six ethernet ports on the WIFI box. I had to reset both the the computer and WIFI to acquire the link.

Bad news, nothing worked. I unplugged the Nokia and TPLink, shut down my PC and left everything off for fifteen minutes. Connected the PC directly to the Nokia, left out the TPLink and started up the PC and then the Nokia. Got the first screen.

Hooked up Nokia to TPLink and my PC to TPLink and got the second screen. No internet

After resetting the Nokia and TPLink, the Windows troubleshooter was finally able to get internet back on. Third screen.

As of now I still need the TPLink hooked up. When the fibre optic cable installer was installing the cable, I had hooked up my PC directly to the Nokia modem since I had seen the ethernet port on the Nokia and figured my PC was going to work off that port. The installer said that was not going to work and that I had to hook up my PC to the TPLink router.
Nokia 1.jpg

Nokia not working.jpg

Nokia 2.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure I understand why you want to connect only one device via wire to your Internet service. Your TP Link router isn't redundant equipment. The pros of using it outweigh the cons by far, the biggest pro being the protection the router's firewall provides.

And this stuff isn't really designed to be turned off and on just when you want to use it. Just connect it, tape over the lights, and leave it alone.

Not sure I understand why you want to connect only one device via wire to your Internet service. Your TP Link router isn't redundant equipment. The pros of using it outweigh the cons by far, the biggest pro being the protection the router's firewall provides.

And this stuff isn't really designed to be turned off and on just when you want to use it. Just connect it, tape over the lights, and leave it alone.
I'd agree with that,
just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea. (putting computer directly on the internet, unplugging devices when not using)

It's PPPoE.

Edit:

Acanac, like Teksaavy and other small independent ISP's don't actually own or manage the lines the service you are using is delivered on. For Coax, it's typically Rogers or Cogeco, for DSL it would have been Bell and for fibre, it's Bell.

Bell uses PPPoE for their fibre network, so you would need to have PPPoE setup on your computer if you were to try and eliminate the TP-Link gateway.

While I'm not a fan of TP-Link by any stretch of the imagination, having that gateway between you and the internet performing NAT/PAT is better than not having it there.

What is your reason for trying to delete it and raw dog the internet?

Last edited:
I did not know that having the router helps. I only have one PC and I don't use WiFi, so having the WiFi is just added vulnerability to hackers.
I am going to take the near unanimous advice given to me and leave the TPLink in and not turn off the modem and router at night.

BTW I turn off my PC every night. Been doing it for close to two decades and have not had any issues arising from it as far as I know. I have also been turning off the DSL and Coax modems and not had any issues. This fbre optic modem does not seem to like being turned off.

I did not know that having the router helps. I only have one PC and I don't use WiFi, so having the WiFi is just added vulnerability to hackers.
I am going to take the near unanimous advice given to me and leave the TPLink in and not turn off the modem and router at night.
You should have access to the router's admin page. If you truly have no need for wifi access, you should be able turn off its wifi guts and just rely on wired.

BTW I turn off my PC every night. Been doing it for close to two decades and have not had any issues arising from it as far as I know. I have also been turning off the DSL and Coax modems and not had any issues. This fbre optic modem does not seem to like being turned off.
You could replace the TP-Link with something more secure, or, you could also just call Acanac and have them disable the WIFi on it if you aren't using it.

Back