Confused on coolant for 2007 Vue

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this is on my mom's '07 Saturn Vue, 2.2 L 4 cyl with 140,000 miles that has never had the coolant changed.
I know it is a GM vehicle and uses Dexcool from the factory. In looking to replace the coolant, I was looking here to see if there was a "best" fluid to use or one not to use. My plan was to use the Prestone/Zerex DexCool fluid, but am now even more confused than before.

Several posts seem to say that if I am doing a drain and flush, I can use just about any coolant, even the Supertech universal long life stuff, and will be fine.
While I don't want to be cheap, if the $9 Supertech does the same thing as the $14 Prestone Dexcool stuff, do I need to spend more?

She is closer to me now so it will not be another 9 years before the next change. I may do a drain and fill every 3 years from now on.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
OK, this is on my mom's '07 Saturn Vue, 2.2 L 4 cyl with 140,000 miles that has never had the coolant changed.
I know it is a GM vehicle and uses Dexcool from the factory. In looking to replace the coolant, I was looking here to see if there was a "best" fluid to use or one not to use. My plan was to use the Prestone/Zerex DexCool fluid, but am now even more confused than before.

Several posts seem to say that if I am doing a drain and flush, I can use just about any coolant, even the Supertech universal long life stuff, and will be fine.
While I don't want to be cheap, if the $9 Supertech does the same thing as the $14 Prestone Dexcool stuff, do I need to spend more?

She is closer to me now so it will not be another 9 years before the next change. I may do a drain and fill every 3 years from now on.
An all makes-all models AF is basically Dex anyway (Dexclone), it would be fine.

If you're going to completely drain and flush, all makes all models, Dex-Cool, G05, whatever. I'm using G05 in my vehicles, currently.

OK, good to know. I will just use the Supertech stuff then. I may have a bottle of Prestone universal, need to check and see if I do or not.

My last dealing with Dexcool did not turn out well (had a '94 S-10 Blazer with the 4.3, did not come with Dexcool, but decided to swap to it in 2001 or so, ended up with leaks everywhere a few months after).

Funny, just noticed rshaw125, bullwinkle and I all registered here within 45 days of each other 12 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back