Confused. Mercon V or Dexron VI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm voting Maxlife. I stock it at my shop and use it in almost everything from Ford F650s to well everything...almost....

IMO hands down the best ATF on the market.

Last edited:
If we're taking votes here put me down for MERCON V. I too like Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV but it is, as stated above, a lower viscosity fluid frequently singled out.

MERCON V is specced. Why not use it? Be glad the Dex/Merc LV is so usable. Be glad MERCON V is so available.

Lots of Mercon V available.
smile.gif

EE29796A-AAD0-4E08-97CB-8DAE256D5608.jpeg

Last edited:
Maxlife it works well more shear stable and is a more advanced formulation. For the ones who say MERCON V is "thicker" I doubt it's thicker in 10-15K miles of use versus 10-15K miles of Maxlife use.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Unless it's for a beater or you get it very cheap, I would avoid any multi-make transmission fluid.

It's a Ford transmission with a DEXRON base. Following this logic you should not use anything but the factory fill for engine oil. Not the aftermarket OEM labeled motor oil. The factory fill and when the blend or contract changes you better fill up 55 gallon barrels and get the last of the formulation used in your engine.

I do not subscribe to multi-vehicle transmission fluids. Toyota has both a T-VI and a WS ATF. Their specs are nothing similar. However, there are multi-vehicle ATF's that say their one fluid
would serve both the T-IV and the WS. I am trying to find the logic in that. How can this be? LOL

A lot of smart people feel differently but I can't get my mind around a one size fits all.

My owner's manual gives me specific requirements for what oil to use and specific instructions for what ATF to use. 5W-30 SL oil and Toyota T-IV ATF. Easy peezy. I got lots of choices for different brands
of oils but just one option for ATF. Easy Peezy. No brainer. Maxife was not an option for ATF but it their oil is an option. Simple as pie.

Use the Mercon V. That fluid was specifically designed for your transmission. You can be assured that you made a right choice.

Originally Posted by Kira
If we're taking votes here put me down for MERCON V. I too like Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV but it is, as stated above, a lower viscosity fluid frequently singled out.

MERCON V is specced. Why not use it? Be glad the Dex/Merc LV is so usable. Be glad MERCON V is so available.

+1. Lubegard does make an additive for FMC's cars requiring Mercon V in the green bottle that essentially converts any trans fluid to V. But I'd stick with Mercon V...

Originally Posted by Gebo
I do not subscribe to multi-vehicle transmission fluids. Toyota has both a T-VI and a WS ATF. Their specs are nothing similar. However, there are multi-vehicle ATF's that say their one fluid
would serve both the T-IV and the WS. I am trying to find the logic in that. How can this be? LOL

A lot of smart people feel differently but I can't get my mind around a one size fits all.

My owner's manual gives me specific requirements for what oil to use and specific instructions for what ATF to use. 5W-30 SL oil and Toyota T-IV ATF. Easy peezy. I got lots of choices for different brands
of oils but just one option for ATF. Easy Peezy. No brainer. Maxife was not an option for ATF but it their oil is an option. Simple as pie.

Use the Mercon V. That fluid was specifically designed for your transmission. You can be assured that you made a right choice.

One size fits all is not exactly correct with Maxlife. It is recommended and stated to meet specification by Valvoline for many applications. Some it does not. It meets a lot though.

Why the concern because it meets a lot of specs I don't understand. Motor oil meets a lot of specs. Take a look at say Delvac HDO. It meets about 20 different specs. Manufacturers create specs for different reasons but one certainly is to make money. Most recently Dexos. The entity owning a certain spec...GM w Dexos....charges companies a fee to certify the spec is met and licenses the use of the logo..Dexos...and license the use of stating said spec is certified.

Gear oils, hydraulic oils (which is what ATF more or less is), antifreeze, engine oils ect ect ect MOST of the aftermarket market meets more than one spec. Toyota WS is Toyota so ‘Yota only says it meets WS because they are branding it for their own pipeline of sales. Most likely it would meet other manufacturers specs easily since aftermarket products can meet multiple specs with one product. Since we don't know exactly what's in different ATF fluids, since Auto trans works essentially the same...at least same tech and principal and since classes of fluids have changed more or less across the board when technology has changed and many new fluids are retro compatible, I see is as extremely logical a high quality synthetic like Maxlife ATF can meet the specifications of a very wide range of vehicles. Why wouldn't it?

Last edited:
I recall reading on Lubegard's site something to the effect that Mercon V is designed for increased friction as compared to other ATF's and that using non-spec'd ATF's in certain Ford transmissions can cause issues down-the-road...

[Linked Image from lubegard.com]

I have used Maxlife ATF in several Merc V applications and have never had an issue with it.

I don't know how, but Valvoline has a great fluid in Maxlife ATF that works for many makes and models, and I would use it in most Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, or Hyundai vehicles

Originally Posted by ToadU

One size fits all is not exactly correct with Maxlife. It is recommended and stated to meet specification by Valvoline for many applications. Some it does not. It meets a lot though.

Why the concern because it meets a lot of specs I don't understand. Motor oil meets a lot of specs. Take a look at say Delvac HDO. It meets about 20 different specs. Manufacturers create specs for different reasons but one certainly is to make money. Most recently Dexos. The entity owning a certain spec...GM w Dexos....charges companies a fee to certify the spec is met and licenses the use of the logo..Dexos...and license the use of stating said spec is certified.

Gear oils, hydraulic oils (which is what ATF more or less is), antifreeze, engine oils ect ect ect MOST of the aftermarket market meets more than one spec. Toyota WS is Toyota so ‘Yota only says it meets WS because they are branding it for their own pipeline of sales. Most likely it would meet other manufacturers specs easily since aftermarket products can meet multiple specs with one product. Since we don't know exactly what's in different ATF fluids, since Auto trans works essentially the same...at least same tech and principal and since classes of fluids have changed more or less across the board when technology has changed and many new fluids are retro compatible, I see is as extremely logical a high quality synthetic like Maxlife ATF can meet the specifications of a very wide range of vehicles. Why wouldn't it?

+++ This. I believe Valvoline was late to the Dexos party because they didn't want to pay up. I'll be sticking Maxlife in my Soul at the next service interval without a worry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by ToadU

+++ This. I believe Valvoline was late to the Dexos party because they didn't want to pay up. I'll be sticking Maxlife in my Soul at the next service interval without a worry.

+++ agreed / only problem I've ever had w Maxlife is getting enough at a time at Walmart. Online ordering has fixed that. Not to sidetrack the thread but Walmart SMH how they stock items—especially automotive products. Sometimes not enough quantity for even a single service Ok sorry soapbox. But ya. It's good stuff. Smells strong but I can deal w that.

Last edited:
I'm facing the same question as the OP, but in regards to my 97 Town Car, 99k.

Mine is a car I legitimately plan to keep forever, and I would like to give it the best available.

So- questions I haven't seen posed yet:

Valvoline (my general first choice) also has a Merc V that also isn't- "recommended for Merc V" but sans the the actual copyrighted Merc V designation.

Anybody have any experience/opinions/science regarding this fluid vs. say Motorcraft Merc V.

I've already ruled out max life "fits everything"

I've been in sales marketing long enough to realize a lot of compromises get made to make claims like "works in 90% of all vehicles"

I don't want compromises in my transmission, I want Merc V.

So, who makes the best?

Originally Posted by Beatlebob32

Mine is a car I legitimately plan to keep forever, and I would like to give it the best available.

Valvoline (my general first choice) also has a Merc V that also isn't- "recommended for Merc V" but sans the the actual copyrighted Merc V designation.

Anybody have any experience/opinions/science regarding this fluid vs. say Motorcraft Merc V.

I've been in sales marketing long enough to realize a lot of compromises get made to make claims like "works in 90% of all vehicles"

So, who makes the best?

Best is what fits the specifications.

Valvoline Mercon V fits the specifications:

Valvoline Mercon V PDS

Last edited:

So, who makes the best?

IMO you have ruled out the best. The reason it fits so many products is two fold. One superior engineering. Two most fluids are very, very similar. GM isn't going to use a Ford spec product and vice versa and Toyota isnt going to spec a Ford Fluid. But.....none of these companies makes fluids so they have chosen their specs fluid from products made by oil blenders. Therefore most ATF fluids like other oils are extremely similar. Hence why there are universal oils and fluids. There isn't that much difference...if any.

Originally Posted by dogememe
That Valvoline Mercon V is a fine product... Used it several times!

I'm assuming that Napa Mercon V is also Valvoline...

Did you read the PDS I posted? #5298615

It does say recommended for Mercon V in the chart.

The Mercon V TM designation has to be there for legal purposes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back