Confirmed! We've Got a GM Mole at BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GM bashing on this board sickens me to point that at times think of leaving. It wouldn't be that bad if we could have an intelligent conversation, but it's the BS posts in people UOAs or ignorant "fact" giving in the other sections.

Then when some real info gets posted the flamers run and hide. Look at what happened to the ".0001% gas mileage increase" post, once I posted about the new Tahoe's actual gas mileage, everyone disappeared.

-T

TK

Your positions are stated respectfully, rationally, and with factual basis. While I don't always agree with what you've got to say, I've never had a problem with how your message is presented. Some folks will never get that concept. Can't let them get to you.

Now, all that said, I have to admit, I was wondering . . . you could be the mole!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

It is not just GM. Almost every product has a certain few that post factless slams. And yes, I am sick of it.

Dear Mole,

Bought my first GMC product after 20+ years of Toyota.

Seems that with all the years of practice you would have steering, braking, and powertrain pretty-much perfected. Especially with something as basic as a pick-up truck.

With 14 months experience I know I will shun GMC evermore.

Looking forward to my next vehicle, likely a Toyota.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
OMG, an EDS guy.
shocked.gif
Sheesh, I've gotten myself in deeper than I thought. You're probably Ross Perot himself masquerading as some guy named "Brian".
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Perot has been gone from EDS for quite some time, in fact, long before I ever started working there.

I don't think I would've been able to comply with the "shirt and tie" dress code they had when Perot was in charge.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
OMG, an EDS guy.
shocked.gif
Sheesh, I've gotten myself in deeper than I thought. You're probably Ross Perot himself masquerading as some guy named "Brian".
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Perot has been gone from EDS for quite some time, in fact, long before I ever started working there.

I don't think I would've been able to comply with the "shirt and tie" dress code they had when Perot was in charge.

EDS.....Now there's a company I never wanted to see or hear mentioned again. Years ago, in the automotive manufacturing support industry, we had to use a part # retrieval system called CAPS. It was part of EDSNET. If you ever had to use this system, you know it was pure he**

quote:

Originally posted by jtantare:
So why do we get the Malibu and the Cobalt? If GM can make a buck selling this Vectra in Brasil I'm sure they can make a profit here.

For whatever reason, the track record that domestic automakers have with selling European cars in the USA isn't real good. With Ford, there were the Merkur models and the Mystique/Contour, they have their following but weren't widely popular. The 2nd generation Mondeo is sold in Europe but Ford decided not to bring it here, likely due to the poor sales figures for the Mystique/Contour towards the end.

I think GM would probably sell more Vectras if they sold them here under the Saab name than if they sold them here under the Chevy/Pontiac name.

I think, in this country, that there are notions about what a Chevrolet/Pontiac is supposed to be and the Vectra isn't it, and that's why they do not sell them here.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Years ago, in the automotive manufacturing support industry, we had to use a part # retrieval system called CAPS. It was part of EDSNET. If you ever had to use this system, you know it was pure he**

Was it some horrible AS400/3270 based application?

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Years ago, in the automotive manufacturing support industry, we had to use a part # retrieval system called CAPS. It was part of EDSNET. If you ever had to use this system, you know it was pure he**

Was it some horrible AS400/3270 based application?

Probably; I can't really remember. I just know it sucked. The fact that it was all done on an incredibly slow computer (with an orange-colored monitor), via a super-slow modem, didn't help matters. I still work in the same industry. We don't use CAPS anymore; haven't since the late 90's.

Could I be the mole??? Hmmmmmmm
wink.gif
Nahhh!!!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kingrob:
Buy the time Nader started his campaign the adjustments and improvements had been made and the later model Corvairs were very nice cars, a decent example of American sportiness for the time.

The story as I read it (can't remember where) is that GM wanted to under cut the VW Beetle on price. The car came out just a tad higher, they decided to remove some suspension component in the rear that seemed superfluous. The GM engineers complained that without it the axle could fold under if it hit an obsticle sideways like a curb. The bean counters said, the car isn't meant to be driven that way and took out the component. And as kingrob said, this was later corrected.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by jtantare:
So why do we get the Malibu and the Cobalt? If GM can make a buck selling this Vectra in Brasil I'm sure they can make a profit here.

For whatever reason, the track record that domestic automakers have with selling European cars in the USA isn't real good. With Ford, there were the Merkur models and the Mystique/Contour, they have their following but weren't widely popular. The 2nd generation Mondeo is sold in Europe but Ford decided not to bring it here, likely due to the poor sales figures for the Mystique/Contour towards the end.

I think GM would probably sell more Vectras if they sold them here under the Saab name than if they sold them here under the Chevy/Pontiac name.

I think, in this country, that there are notions about what a Chevrolet/Pontiac is supposed to be and the Vectra isn't it, and that's why they do not sell them here.

Well a lot of those attempts to brings car from Europe were doomed from the beginning. The Brazilian Vectra is actually based on the smaller European Astra, the Cobalt's cousin. I'm not necessarily saying they have to bring cars from Europe. But at least put some more effort in exterior styling and interior quality. The Malibu interior wouldn't pass for a 10 year old Camry. The cobalt is a little better but the Ion was a total disaster. Maybe instead of having 10 different mid size sedans, they should just do one right. GM can do better than this. I hope the GM mole is listening.

Mole:

Now I guess I'm just messin' with you, but I found another nit to pick over on Chevrolet.com. In all other GM references I can find (now that the Impala page is fixed), the 3.9L is also listed as displacing 237 cubic inches. But on the Malibu page, it's listed at 238 cid. This time, I took a screen capture so no one will think I'm crazy or delusional.
wink.gif

See:
 -

And compare from GM Powerplants site:
 -

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by kingrob:
Buy the time Nader started his campaign the adjustments and improvements had been made and the later model Corvairs were very nice cars, a decent example of American sportiness for the time.

The story as I read it (can't remember where) is that GM wanted to under cut the VW Beetle on price. The car came out just a tad higher, they decided to remove some suspension component in the rear that seemed superfluous. The GM engineers complained that without it the axle could fold under if it hit an obsticle sideways like a curb. The bean counters said, the car isn't meant to be driven that way and took out the component. And as kingrob said, this was later corrected.

The early Corvairs had a simple swing axle rear suspension, like an early VW Bug. In a hard corner with good traction, or a bump that caused the rear of the car to raise bit in relation to the road, the rear end would jack up and the rear wheel tend to tuck under. I was in couple that spun because of that. VW bugs of the same era had the same problem. It wasn't a strength problem.

65 and later Corvairs used their version of the Corvette Stingray rear suspension which was and still is a decent independent rear suspension. It's not all that drastically different in concept and geometry from a new Corvette rear suspension.

I had a 65 Corvair Corsa with the factory 4 carb setup and factory sporty suspension. I also put wider 14 inch wheels on (stock was 13!), good tires and good shocks. It was every bit a match for a Porsche 912 of the same era in auto-xs and illegal twisty road driving (except the brakes sucked compared to Porsche) and went around corners like spit through a bugle. I used to **** off a couple of Porsce driving friend on a regular basis by sticking with them in the twisties and occasionally beating them in an auto-x

I first saw a Corvair in my mechanic's shop a few months ago. I had never seen one before, so I looked it over and it appeared somewhat advanced compared to cars of similar vintage, plus it had some interesting design features that I don't recall the details of right now. (I must confess that I like to stop by my mechanic's shop because there might be something interesting in the service bays, and he allows customers in the service area, so I get to see interesting things that I otherwise wouldn't).

In any case, I decided to look up what Nader had to do with the Corvair and forgive me if I came to the conclusion that Nader was just doing it for the publicity. Which served him well..I'm sure that having "taken on GM" gives him some "street cred" with certain groups of people.

That is the pile of EV1's! I agree that it's a bad idea, but electric vehicles wouldn't be good for the market in their eyes with no routine engine servicing and an unknown date of obsolescence. An AC electric motor will last pretty much forever, and the idea of putting NiMH batteries in an electric car can give a decent range of about 100 miles, which is more than most people drive on a given day. The people who had those cars LOVED them. People actually performed funerals for these cars. To many they were the best car that GM ever made. They got rid of it because it was too much of a success, so instead of selling the cars or continue to lease them they tried to act as if they were some kind of failure and crushed them all after their leases had expired.

Further explanation is in the following.
http://ev1-club.power.net/

I think this persons comments are probably the most positive i've ever seen about the range of electric vehicles, yet I don't think that his case was isolated.
http://ev1-club.power.net/archive/nimhtest/mrush.htm

Yeah, spending billions on an all-out electric vehicle to meet California's stupid regulations when no other manufactorer(other then maybe Honda) went nearly so far to try and please CARB is rediculous. They spend the money to make a true fuel saver, and Toyota swoops in and gets all the credit for a vehicle that wouldn't even meet CARBs request.

-T

Apparently, CARB decided to change their required charging method from inductive to direct, and all of these GM EV1s used inductive charging.

I think that was one factor in their demise.

That is the biggest part of the EV1 that I didn't like was the inductive paddle-charger. It's too proprietary, they should have just built the charger on board like how most electric cars that are homebuilt are today. ...That way they could have just plugged in their 220 volt plug and been happy. They also have chargers that will take either 110 or 220 volts, with the only difference being charge time.

I think the paddle-charger was/is considered safer. What do the homebuilt EVs use for the 240-volt connection? It seems to me that the typical 240-volt cordset (like that used for an electric dryer) isn't designed for repeated plugging/unplugging and if the cordset is part of the on-board charger, the plug will be exposed to corrosion unless it's protected somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back