Computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shutting down Windows and my computer froze on the "Windows is shutting down" screen. I ended up having to take out the battery from the laptop and restart it. Worked fine except everytime I turn it own, the "Windows is shutting down" screen quickly appears right before Windows is loading screen pops up. It's as if it's running in the background. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Is this a Dell?

Win 85? Yikes!

Oh poop! Fat fingers syndrom...

This sort of problem was common with win 95 and still existed in early versions of 98. There were a number of patches for this problem..

Hi, yes it's a Dell E1505. My GF said the same thing...her Dell did the same thing.

The problem seems to have corrected itself. gone...

I've seen LOTS of laptops back before the Pentium4 processor family do that. Mainly Dells, but not all.

The problem is exacerbated with McAfee. McAfee adds lotsa time to the shutdown process. Dunno if it "hangs" part of Windows or not. The only 'solution' is removing the battery and unplugging it. Wait a few seconds for static eletricity discharge, then plug it in and start it up. Problem gone.

Thanks Toyota. Would you recommend using something else instead of McAfee? It definitely adds a lot of start up time when loading it up also. Very annoying.

McAfee works well all-in-all IMO. Norton's A/V is terrible. I used to be "big" on it back in the version 5.0 days, but ever since then, it's just a huge piece of bloatware that noticeably slows down even the fastest machine.

I heard AVG is good, but I don't have any experience with it.

Scott, you have friends with PC's?
shocked.gif

AVG sucks bad. The best free antivirus currently is Avira Antivir.

AVG always has very low detection rates in testing, and has weak heuristic detection capabilities. Antivir has by far the best detection of in the wild viruses and heuristics of the free antivirus products. Antivir free has no spyware/adware detection like Avast. Most paid antivirus now has spyware detection but it's usually abismal compared to products that only detect spyware. In addition to Antivir, get yourself free Ewido for anything that anrivirus won't get.

How do you know though??? Has AVG ever detected anything? It is known for false positives because the heuristics aren't very good.

But if it has worked for you and you like the product, then by all means, use it! It is extremely popular and always better than no anti-virus. Actually, in some tests, it does better than Avast free, but Antivir beats the tar out of both of them in pure detection and removal capabilities.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
shocked.gif

Just the men, the ladies prefer Apple.

Yeah, that's it. I guess only manly-men like to sit at home all day and install anti-viral and anti-spyware software.
Well, then count me in with the "ladies" that prefer a better machine.
rolleyes.gif

Come to the light, Luke!

Scott

[ July 29, 2006, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: ScottB ]

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
shocked.gif

Well, I guess they're "colleagues" Friends wouldn't let friends use WinDoze.
lol.gif

In truth, six of my co-workers who were strictly PC-users have bought Intel Macs in the last two months.
ALL of them are extremely happy, and three of them haven't even put Windows on them yet.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back