Computer help - AMD vs Intel processor for desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
A true quadcore depends largely on the person's definition.

Exactly. I suggest folks look at unbiased benchmarks to see which area(s) a given CPU performs best and worst, and how that applies to what they use it for. Then do the cost/performance calculation. Number of cores doesn't quite mean what it used to, as marketing and stretching truths have rendered the term near-useless. Kinda-sorta like what the term synthetic means for today's oils!
grin.gif

Quote:
In my head, it always made sense it had 4 cores, but not 4 full caching systems which are generally thought to belong to each core, but when you think of an AMD processor in the way in which many have interpreted it, a 4 core A or FX series is still a 2 core 4 thread, 3 core 6 thread, etc. When thought of that way, then I would say Amd comes out on top a lot of times. That means an fx4300 processor should be compared to an I3 where the FX 4300 generally overpowers most I3 models in things that understand more than 1-2 cores/threads of use.

Each "core" is missing much more than a seperate cache. Each pair of cores (a module) share a single branch prediction engine, a single instruction fetch and decode stage, a single floating-point math unit, a single cache controller, a single 64K L1 instruction cache, a single microcode ROM, and a single 2MB L2 cache. That's a lot of stuff missing that is present in what Intel calls a core.

A physical die could consist of anything, so that doesn't mean much. If each integer core had an FPU, I think they could make a case that an 8-core is indeed an 8-core, even though there is still some resource sharing going on. But you're exactly right, the definition of core is what a given person thinks a core should be.

I don't buy the stability angle-- The processor is just a piece of hardware. It's up to the software to use it in a way that gives you a stable computing experience without blue screens and such. I can't see how Intel's Hyperthreading implementation is any way less stable than the way AMD configures its CPU. They've been using HT for 15+ years. It a useful feature for some situations, but I typically don't spend extra money on an Intel CPU w/ HT versus one without, when I'm building my own PC.

I hope AMD hangs around longer as competition is a good thing. CPU performance has reached a plateau it seems in the last 5+ years, mostly because AMD has lost the competitive edge in the desktop market that they used to have years ago. Now the price divide between the two is less than it's been, which makes an modern AMD CPU a tough sell in most cases (for me and the computers I build for people.) I still like to by them whenever possible, however, even if it means a slight trade-off in performance.

I've built lots of PC's with the A10 processor, and have never heard any complaints, that's for sure! It's a great chip.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I'm helping a family member find a low priced desktop for general computer use. No games or anything intensive, just surfing the web, email, and office products. I know a lot about computer and do my own ram upgrades but have never messed with processors.

I've always gone with intel products, i3 and i5 in my computers because they're what I've always had and never had any issues. It seems the more budget friend computers have the AMD A6 and A8 processors. Are AMD any good? Do they burn out faster?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-...p?skuId=5228113
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-desktop-a...p?skuId=5228115

Wouldn't the computer with the A8 be the better deal between these two?

Should I hold out for a deal on a computer with an i3? I can find them but they have lower RAM, which I could always put more in like:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-300s-...p?skuId=5195901

I'm not interested in building one.

My advise is to look at the dell refurbished page, especially the business page.

Then get some coupon codes.

You can get a nice dell computer with windows 10 and multi year warranty for way under 500 dollars.

Bought a cheapo laptop for myself last year for $180.

Never had a problem with dell refurb, and I have bought 4-5 units.

If you buy the business class computer you get a longer warranty.

I think we decided on this computer:
http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre...product_2454229

Has a 6th gen i5, 2x4gb ram, 1TB and a few other features. It seems this i5 6400, is similar in performance to the i3 6100 but has 4 actual cores instead of 2 hyperthreaded? This also has a little better graphics and built in features. This one has some potential for future upgrades if needed. 1tb is way plenty, $20 more than the A10, 1x8gb, and 2tb, I feel that is a worthy upgrade even with the storage down grade. The reviews on the A10 computer on other sites were pretty bad.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Has a 6th gen i5, 2x4gb ram, 1TB and a few other features. It seems this i5 6400, is similar in performance to the i3 6100 but has 4 actual cores instead of 2 hyperthreaded? This also has a little better graphics and built in features. This one has some potential for future upgrades if needed. 1tb is way plenty, $20 more than the A10, 1x8gb, and 2tb, I feel that is a worthy upgrade even with the storage down grade.

I don't see the storage being a "downgrade" at all. Trade hard drive capacity for other specs all day long. If you ever fill that 1TB, my hat's off to you. I cringe everytime I see terabyte hard drives in PC's rather than SSDs, but I have to take a deep breath and remind myself that computer mfgs are in it for the profit, not the consumer.

The i5 is an excellent CPU, probably the best money can buy at that price point. It will be similar in performance to the i3 6100 for single-threaded apps, but the I5 has four true cores (instead of 2) which brings you into a whole 'nother dimension when it comes to multi-threaded stuff. You probably will never tax either CPU using only the basic tasks you mentioned, but I consider it future proofing... It's like opting for a V6 over a 4 cylinder truck when all you do is commute to work and back. On that one day you need to tow, you'll appreciate that V6.

The 6th gen processor gets you one of the latest Intel chipsets. Most OEMs tend to cheap out in this area (using older or dumb-downed chipsets,) which is the worst place to cut costs.

Quote:
The reviews on the A10 computer on other sites were pretty bad.

Prime example of why hardware specs are only a very small slice of things to consider when making a PC purchase. Pre-built manufacturers know that numbers sell (4TB has got to be better than 1TB!) and they take advantage of that. They tend to hide the other variables which have a bigger impact on performance. Whatever number they can make appear to be higher, at the least cost, that's typically what you get. Hardly do you ever see specs such as spindle speed, cache, number of platters (helps identify hard drive generation), motherboard chipset, detailed RAM speed and latencies, video card memory type and speed (if applicable), the list goes on.

These are all things the consumer doesn't know to consider, so it's easier for manufacturers to make stripped down budget computers that they can still make money on. Profit margins on desktops are so hideously low, that they'll do next to anything to cut costs. I think you did great on that purchase.

I looked at the A10 machine again, and at second glance, it does use SFF hardware designed primarily for laptops. That explains why it's still using low-power DD3 RAM. That whole platform is designed for power efficiency, not performance. This is a cost cutting move, and nothing more, probably what garnered so many negative reviews online. You have to wonder what else they cut costs on.

I was scratching my head as to why they chose to use a discreet graphics adapter instead of the embedded graphics. After pondering it for a bit, my theory is this: The motherboard/CPU was designed for laptops, all-in-one desktops, and other very small form factor units that have their own screen. AMD probably designed the chip with a max resolution in mind, given the target market. The embedded graphics probably does not support some resolutions at acceptable speed & performance that you'd find with larger desktop monitors. Or those higher resolutions (2550x1440p for example) simply weren't written into the firmware. Seems Dell thought it would be cheaper to just use the laptop hardware w/ a separate graphics adapter, than to try to re-engineer the hardware to work as a desktop. Pretty sure that is what's going on here.

Dell is notorious for using laptop hardware in their desktops. Seeing a slim-line DVD drive inside a desktop case is always a red flag for me, though it's becoming more common on other desktops besides Dell.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I don't buy the stability angle-- The processor is just a piece of hardware. It's up to the software to use it in a way that gives you a stable computing experience without blue screens and such. I can't see how Intel's Hyperthreading implementation is any way less stable than the way AMD configures its CPU. They've been using HT for 15+ years. It a useful feature for some situations, but I typically don't spend extra money on an Intel CPU w/ HT versus one without, when I'm building my own PC.

Hyperthreading isn't particularly unstable. If it wasn't, then Intel would not be using it. A better term might be less predictable. But the issue with hyperthreading is using free time from the real core to fill in gaps so it can use that one core to multithread. Some major games have even recommended turning it off for this reason. When the main core is using a high percentage of power, 90% plus, the hyperthread on that core tends to not be as effective or sharp. You wouldn't want two CPU intensive processes to decide to run on one core and two threads in other words. Even before filling up the non hyperthreaded thread, the hyperthread is still not as fast as the original thread. With AMD, this doesn't seem to hold as true. Both threads on each core/working set seem to put out the same amount of power and seem be more consistent in performance. This is partially theory, and partially experience, even though there is no definitive proof. Just in my experience, the AMD way of doing it seems to be better at multitasking without slow downs. I mean if I was gaming on a low end PC the I3 would rock it all day, but for day to day things, I always find that I3 machines tend to experience little hiccups and slight pauses more often.

I vote for the A8, no, the processor won't burn out. It will outlive the usefullness of the computer and a few updates of the OS windows versions. It's fine for your intended purpose.

I was scratching my head as to why they chose to use a discreet graphics adapter instead of the embedded graphics.

Dell is notorious for using laptop hardware in their desktops. Seeing a slim-line DVD drive inside a desktop case is always a red flag for me, though it's becoming more common on other desktops besides Dell.

IIRC the radeon R4 and R5 are Extremely weak low powered solutions that are integrated into the amd chips

The r4 and r5 for example scores around 350-400 on passmark

a 970 is around 8500.

an intel hd530 is about 930

for example
http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/apu/amd-a-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-laptops/a8-7410-with-radeon%E2%84%A2-r5-graphics

Hd530 is a desktop solution. The A10 CPU in question is a laptop (low power) chip, and uses a Radeon R6.

Apples and oranges. If you were to compare embedded graphics of a comparable AMD and Intel chip, same generation for desktop use, AMD beats Intel pretty handily.

Can one *generally* characterize Intel as having better base performance from their chips, comparing similar speeds, and AMD having better integrated graphics capabilities? Or is even that not a fair generalization?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Can one *generally* characterize Intel as having better base performance from their chips, comparing similar speeds, and AMD having better integrated graphics capabilities? Or is even that not a fair generalization?

That's flip flopped a few times over the years.

Intel's integrated graphics, were, historically, far from remarkable. They were sufficient for word processing and maybe some basic video playback but beyond that, you had to keep your expectations pretty low.

AMD didn't have an integrated graphics offering during most of the competition period between the two companies over the last two decades because they had given up on developing chipsets after the Slot A days. This meant that if one were pursuing a low-cost integrated graphics solution utilizing and AMD CPU, you were going to be using a chipset from the likes of VIA, SiS, ALI or NVidia, with only NVidia offering anything that could be described as decent. In laptop offerings then, you had a system that did not have end-to-end power management and subsequently performance and battery life suffered. AMD-powered laptops were oft regarded as lap burners for that reason.

However, Intel then screwed themselves rather royally with the whole Netburst Architecture fiasco and the Pentium 4. Clock-for-clock AMD CPU's were significantly faster no matter how Intel spun it.

However development on the laptop side of things for Intel with the Pentium M, which would eventually evolve into the Core series, showed significant promise and when that was bridged into the desktop realm, all of a sudden it put Intel back in the lead.

AMD of course acquired ATI, the Canadian graphics company around this time and for the first time since slot A, were able to offer and end-to-end solution providing their own CPU, chipset and integrated graphics to go head-to-head with Intel. And with resources from ATI, their graphics solutions were significantly better than Intel's.

Since then, Intel has worked on improving the performance of their integrated graphics offerings so that they are no longer a novelty relegated to being solely appropriate for rendering documents in Microsoft Word. My son has a little ThinkPad T410 that has no problems playing Borderlands for example. While not as good as a dedicated graphics card, it is definitely playable and looks decent.

Currently I would say Intel holds the performance crown. AMD may have slightly better integrated graphics, but anybody looking to do something taxing is going to be using a discrete card anyways, so that point is relatively moot.

I haven't built myself or owned an AMD-based system for quite some time. I've always had great luck with Intel dating all the way back through when I first got into computers in the late 80's. I had very mixed results with AMD and Cyrix in comparison. With AMD, after they stopped making their own chipsets, I found their biggest failing was that one was forced to use a VIA, SiS or ALI-based board for anything low-cost. Even many (most?) of the NVidia offerings weren't great. In comparison, Intel always had a suite of in-house chipsets that worked perfectly (by and large).

AMD also, IMHO, has still be unable to shrug that "bargain" crown that they have always carried in the business and professional sector as well. Going through my price list, the only AMD CPU's I see in HP's business notebook lineup for example are in the ProBook family and catering to the lower-price segment. The upper echelons of the ProBook family are dominated by Intel-based offerings, as is the entire EliteBook segment.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
AMD also, IMHO, has still be unable to shrug that "bargain" crown that they have always carried in the business and professional sector as well. Going through my price list, the only AMD CPU's I see in HP's business notebook lineup for example are in the ProBook family and catering to the lower-price segment. The upper echelons of the ProBook family are dominated by Intel-based offerings, as is the entire EliteBook segment.

What would AMD rely on to shrug that preconception? Magic? The Intel CPUs outperform them hands down. A few years ago, you could make the price per performance argument in favor of AMD in some segments, but that's just not true anymore. Dollar per dollar, an Intel CPU is a better value in all but the most unique circumstances.

AMD shines when their integrated graphics are factored in (hardly a consideration in business PCs,) but that's only an advantage in the mid to lower end desktop market, where you can make a trade-off in CPU speed for GPU speed. Once you add a discreet graphics card, that advantage is lost. The new 7 series Intel CPUs will probably close the GPU performance gap for all intents and purposes. I hope AMD releases something big, and fast. I like AMD just as much as anybody (probably more) but I still live in reality...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

That's a very fair generalization indeed. AMD still trumps Intel when it comes to GPU performance, but you make a bit of sacrifice on the CPU performance side. Easy decision to make if you're purchasing a mid to low end desktop; that extra GPU performance is a huge asset if you don't have a discreet graphics card.

Once you add a separate graphics adapter, all bets are off for AMD. Intel has the advantage hands down when GPU performance is taken out of the equation.

The Iris Pro iGPUs are phenomenal.

With that said, my main laptop has an "outdated" Ivy Bridge quad i7 with integrated HD4000 and an nVidia 650M. Granted it will be a 5 year old design this summer, but at least at the time and still that's a great combination to have. The HD4000 really is a good GPU and is quite capable even of light gaming but sips battery power. The 650M only kicks in when it's needed.

I'm amazed when I compare the HD4000 to the 3000 in my one-year-older computer, and things are only getting better.

What would AMD rely on to shrug that preconception? Magic? The Intel CPUs outperform them hands down.

Quote:
I like AMD just as much as anybody (probably more) but I still live in reality...

Even during the P4 days when AMD was clock-for-clock significantly faster, they only were ever able to get maybe a tooth into the business market. So it would seem that even when they DO offer better performance, that bargain Albatross continues to hand 'round their neck. I'm not an AMD fan, as I noted, I've always had the best luck with Intel and haven't owned an AMD rig in quite a while. That was and continues to be my choice. I am however a fan of ATI graphics, since they were a Canadian company with their headquarters less than an hour from me.

I would say in the past that AMD's primary role in the market was keeping Intel on their toes while offering a solid performance bargain for gamers and low-cost seekers. However even that seems to have fallen by the wayside with Intel's offerings running the gamut on the entire segment at this point. I as well hope that AMD comes out with something big and fast, because competition is a good thing. But as you noted, anybody living in reality are pretty aware of the present situation.

Even during the P4 days when AMD was clock-for-clock significantly faster, they only were ever able to get maybe a tooth into the business market. So it would seem that even when they DO offer better performance, that bargain Albatross continues to hand 'round their neck.

Intel's marketing strategy was right for the time, from the logo to the "Intel Inside" branding, blue men, etc. The advertising was spot on, people in the 90's felt like they had the best when an Intel CPU was in their computer.

That said, it was their violation of antitrust laws that had more to do with maintaining such a high market share than anything else. When you offer OEMs a steep discount for offering ONLY Intel CPU's, AMD simply could not compete beyond the enthusiast or build-it-yourself crowd. Since Intel was a household name and the only CPU most folks were familiar with at the time, OEMs were essentially forced to sell exclusively Intel processors. Their awesome marketing these illegal schemes possible.

After a few successful lawsuits (some of which Intel is still appealing,) AMD was finally able to get its foot in the door, but they missed their golden opportunity of the Athlon 64-era (when AMD processors did not only compete, but outperform Intel's offerings). Major OEMs could not offer Athlon 64 processors because of the hefty rebates and incentives they would lose if they broke their exclusivity agreements with Intel. This would be akin to slitting one's own throat. Intel went so far as to make payments to manufacturers that would sign these agreements, then continue to support the agreement through a discounted price and other rebates & incentives.

Since then, AMD CPU's have been largely relegated to budget and bargain-basement PC's, and of course the build your own computer crowd.

A recent article with a little history on the subject

After a few successful lawsuits (some of which Intel is still appealing,) AMD was finally able to get its foot in the door, but they missed their golden opportunity of the Athlon 64-era (when AMD processors did not only compete, but outperform Intel's offerings). Major OEMs could not offer Athlon 64 processors because of the hefty rebates and incentives they would lose if they broke their exclusivity agreements with Intel.

I remember those days well. The Opteron (Athlon 64 K8) CPU's were offered in low-end servers from HP and IBM, but DELL had a relationship with Intel and wouldn't stray. I don't recall any of the offerings ever really achieving much in the way of success/market penetration though, despite being offered.

However, tying into one of my earlier points, the issue of lacking in-house chipsets was still an issue. I don't recall off-hand who made the AMD server chipsets, but I know they were nowhere near as highly regarded as the Intel ones were. This likely factored into purchasing decisions as well.

However, tying into one of my earlier points, the issue of lacking in-house chipsets was still an issue. I don't recall off-hand who made the AMD server chipsets, but I know they were nowhere near as highly regarded as the Intel ones were. This likely factored into purchasing decisions as well.

(AMD made their own server chipset in the time period you mention)

I agree with this 100%. When I'd make a major computer purchase (for me, in those days, that was $500 or so..
smile.gif
) I'd have to spend at least a couple hours researching chipsets for an AMD platform. I was in high school when VIA was in its heyday, the MVP2/MVP3 chipset for the Socket 7 CPUs.

Things became quite blurry in the early 2000's when you had VIA, SIS, Nvidia and others with competing chipsets for the Slot A, Socket 462 and subsequent CPUs. I made at least a couple bad choices (in chipsets) which caused me to either purchase a new motherboard, or wish I'd bought an Intel platform.

At least back then it was a huge hobby of mine, so suffice it to say, I didn't cry myself to sleep when I had to replace a motherboard because the chipset didn't live up to expectations, or wasn't supported in some new version of Windows. That would be a huge issue for an OEM.

Intel, on the other hand, had its own chipset with variations that correlated to a certain market segment-- entry level, midrange, performance and server. Choosing one was as simple as deciding which features you wanted and how much you had to spend, but you always knew what you were getting, and with very few exceptions, were always rock solid.

There's no question that factored into an OEM's decision to offer Intel's CPUs. After a time, Nvidia became the de facto AMD chipset, until AMD began releasing their own on a large scale. Things were always simpler on the AMD side since then, for better or worse...

Few people realize Intel headed down an entirely different processor design path when moving to 64-bit (merced, aka itanium)

This chip was not natively x86 compatible and would require recoding/recompiling of software to utilize its benefits. AMD licensed the x86 instruction set from Intel, extended it to 64-bit and then Intel was forced to purchase the intellectual property licensing from AMD (which was an extension of their own instruction set) to get back into the 'real' 64 bit server space.

Intel threw away 2+ billion dollars in the process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back