Computer Experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 8 yr old Toshiba laptop that worked flawlessly until today. When starting up, there are either red or green lines and dots and it will not go to the main screen. It operates in safe mode with the same issues.

Is there anything I can try to narrow down what is the cause of this?
I have attached two pictures to show the problem in question.
Thanks

likely the cable going from the laptop base to screen has worn out, some can be replaced, others require screen replacement, varies by model

In my experience, these ribbon cables can't be replaced that go to the base of the laptop. Backlighting, yes ... ribbon cable for display no.

You *could* buy a new screen, but it's probably going to cost more than the laptop is worth.

I used to work in the IT field, I still do computer repair work for my friends and family. A new screen for a that kind of laptop runs around $30-$60 on Amazon or eBay.

You can tackle replacing it yourself, honestly it's not that hard.
Just google the model number and find a tutorial on YouTube.

Swift,
Thanks. I just did a search for the toshiba M65 and it costs anywhere from $50 to $150. Do you know of a recommended supplier?
Some of these companies are from China and not sure if I trust the quality of the replacment.

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Swift,
Thanks. I just did a search for the toshiba M65 and it costs anywhere from $50 to $150. Do you know of a recommended supplier?
Some of these companies are from China and not sure if I trust the quality of the replacment.

The supplier doesn't matter too much since most laptop components come from China anyway.

This looks like a good choice-

http://www.amazon.com/TOSHIBA-SATELLITE-M65-S809-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B003VWE3EI

Do you happen to know the sub model? It seems there are a few versions of the Toshiba M65. You can typically find the full model name on the palm rest or on the under side of the laptop.

If you can't find it on the laptop itself, go to start, click on run (located a little to the right). Then type in msinfo32 .

A window should come up, System summary will be selected by default. Look for "system model" it should be listed towards the top.

I just want to be sure I'm recommending the right part for your laptop.

Last edited:
Satellite M60
Cat I agree but for around $100 it is worth it to keep it running. If the hard drive goes then I am out.

Originally Posted By: cat843
Its running XP. Time to move forward. You fix this and what is next, the hard drive?

I agree. It's polishing a turd at this point. I wouldn't dump more money into it. Just cut your losses.

Its running XP. Time to move forward.

To me ... XP is like a Slant 6 motor, just keeps going.... when you switch , look at what you get.... motors with super short piston skirts and piston slap and transmissions with no dipstick tubes. Slant 6... just works.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Its running XP. Time to move forward.

To me ... XP is like a Slant 6 motor, just keeps going.... when you switch , look at what you get.... motors with super short piston skirts and piston slap and transmissions with no dipstick tubes. Slant 6... just works.

I have an American Motors 6. It has real piston skirts. There's at least one broken one and it makes noise.

However, it does keep going.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I have an American Motors 6. It has real piston skirts. There's at least one broken one and it makes noise.

EXACTLY. Try that with a new motor or Windows 16.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: Miller88

EXACTLY. Try that with a new motor or Windows 16.

A new engine won't have piston skirts to break :p

Swift,
How can I find out the screen resolution? For this model, they had both 1440 x 900 and 1680 x 1050. The amazon sellers claim to only work with the 1440 aspect.

Thanks
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back