computer booting to Windows 7 Startup Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I came home on Friday night and found my desktop computer sitting at a Windows 7 screen entitled "Startup Repair" saying "Your computer was unable to start... Startup Repair is checking your system for problems..." I left it there for a good 24 hours and it just said "Searching for problems..." so I eventually shut it down and restarted.

After the BIOS stuff, it comes up with a "Windows Error Recovery" screen where I can select a) Launch Startup Repair (Recommended), or b) Start Windows Normally. (a) goes to what I described above. (b) seems to get stuck and then invokes (a).

The system is an old Dell XPS 410 that runs 24x7x365 and has always been a good machine. I installed Windows 7 64-Bit on it not quite a year ago. I transferred the system to a 2 TB Seagate Hybrid drive last October.

Maybe a memory error which corrupted something? Maybe an automatic Windows update that threw the system into a funk?

Any thoughts or suggestions? My data is safe and backed-up and I can format the hard drive and reinstall everything if necessary. That's no big deal. (I'd test all my memory before doing that to ensure I don't have any bad chips.) But before I invest the time in that, is there another repair option I should try first? I have the Windows 7 install disc handy.

It sounds like a failed/failing hard drive. In fact, I believe that this particular drive has a pretty high failure rate.

Apparently you have another computer, do you have an external enclosure that you could put that drive into for testing purposes?

With an external enclosure you could use Seatools for Windows on the other computer and test the drive in question. Without an external enclosure you could use Seatools for DOS, burn a disk and test the drive in place.

How to Use SeaTools for DOS and Windows Disk Check Utility

Since I already had SeaTools for DOS on a CD, I ran the Short Test and it failed.

DST -- FAILED - Read Element LBA = 5099968

I'm running the Long Test now. It's 3% of the way in and has reports 8 Error(s) thus far.

Looks like a warranty replacement is in store. I have an old 320 GB West Digital laying around, so I'll probably wipe it and start the process of reinstalling Windows 7 and everything on it. I can then transfer the installed system using Seagate DiscWizard to the replacement drive when I receive it.

Thanks for the help guys! Quick steer in the right direction of a diagnosis. Much appreciated!

A dead Seagate? I'm shocked
smirk.gif

They make great targets for the .308.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smirk.gif

Yeah, this Seagate Hybrid was a replacement for a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB who started experiencing problems and SeaTools showed the SMART was tripped. Maybe I should see how they fare downrange my CZ 9mm.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smirk.gif

Yeah, this Seagate Hybrid was a replacement for a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB who started experiencing problems and SeaTools showed the SMART was tripped. Maybe I should see how they fare downrange my CZ 9mm.

Well, an old Cheatah is the only drive I've ever shot that actually exploded (complete with cool flames!) so it is worth a shot
wink.gif
LOL!!!

OP Update: The SeaTools Long Test showed 80 errors. I let it repair all of them after which the Short and Long tests both passed and Windows successfully booted. I'm thinking I should still warranty the drive though. Given that the problem happened it's just a matter of time before it happens again, right?

OP Update: The SeaTools Long Test showed 80 errors. I let it repair all of them after which the Short and Long tests both passed and Windows successfully booted. I'm thinking I should still warranty the drive though. Given that the problem happened it's just a matter of time before it happens again, right?

Yup.

I agree, the drive is unreliable now. Should be replaced.

Glad you found the problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back