Compressor doesn’t work

I have a quincy garage compressor that i’ve had for a couple of years. I hardly ever use it except for putting air in tires.

I had a GFI go bad and the electricity has not worked in ½ the garage for a month or so. I replaced the GFI (light works now) and all the plugs work on that side of the garage now- but my compressor doesn’t work now. I pushed the “reset” button on the compressor motor, but nothing. Any suggestions?

IMG_2604.jpeg

I'd try it on another outlet. How many amps does the compressor draw? 15 or 20?

Are you ok at diagnosing electrical components? Does the on/off switch have an illuminated light to verify power input? Do you know how to check capacitors which kick starts the motor? Start easy stuff first.

If you try other outlets, maybe one from the house with extension and still nothing, then you will need the manual for the compressor. Sometimes these companies put internal fuses to protect the product that you have to know about. They are usually inside a housing you must remove to get to them. I think the idea is most folks would take it an approved warranty shop to pay to have it fixed. Go on YouTube and put in your compressor model and look for videos on "reset" or "troubleshoot" etc.... lots of videos on YouTube these days full of that kind of info. Yes of course there are some whackos on there but you can pretty much spot those quick.

As long as the switch is on it should run.
I use the same auto/off switch on my electric air compressors.
I think I have the same little aluminum body, 8head and wheel compressor on my 3hp gasoline powered compressor.
Does anything happen when you plug it in and turn it on?
Any humming from the motor, does it seem like it's trying to turn?

I had a GFI go bad and the electricity has not worked in ½ the garage for a month or so. I replaced the GFI (light works now) and all the plugs work on that side of the garage now- but my compressor doesn’t work now. I pushed the “reset” button on the compressor motor, but nothing. Any suggestions?
Did you check to see that there is power at the compressor outlet?

When i was growing up, my dad used to use a night light to test outlets for power.
I'd suggest doing the same.

There is power at the outlet. My ½” drill works fine off the outlet. I can’t find the manual- but I am going to take the model # and download one off the internet. I need to figure out how to bypass the on/off switch to rest it.

If there’s power at the outlet the compressor should at least try. It should spin, or hum, or arc if trying to plug it in. Have you tried it on a different outlet? The pressure switches do go bad from time to time.

In addition, a compressor with a locked rotor should blow the breaker. I don’t think the motor is getting power, whether it’s an outlet problem or a switch problem.

Found the problem! Wasn’t the Air Compressor at all. When the electrician came out and installed a new GFI- he installed it at the breaker box instead of at the wall plug. He erroneously installed it on the wrong circuit breaker which already had a GFI (plug on the patio on the same line). You can’t put 2 GFIs on the same line. I guess licensed electricians make mistakes too. He apologized and gave me a refund. All is well.

Found the problem! Wasn’t the Air Compressor at all. When the electrician came out and installed a new GFI- he installed it at the breaker box instead of at the wall plug. He erroneously installed it on the wrong circuit breaker which already had a GFI (plug on the patio on the same line). You can’t put 2 GFIs on the same line. I guess licensed electricians make mistakes too. He apologized and gave me a refund. All is well.
Good on him for making it as right as humanly possible. I'd consider using him again, were I in your situation. He probably just didn't realize the outside GFCI existed (should be identified in the breaker box, but I bet it wasn't).

Back