Compression test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 92 Dolphin 22' RV built on a Toyota truck chassis. It was owned by my mother and was well taken care of. She says she did the 3000 mile oil changes etc and I know she always got things fixed immediately when something went wrong.

I do not have the engine number but it is a V6 engine. The engine is well over 12 years old and has engine problems. Apparently one cylindar has about 35 lbs compression but that whole side has low compression readings - about 135 or so. The other side is about 150.

According to the mechanic the dry compression for the very low cylinder was 35 lbs and then they said a wet compression was 35 but a second test showed it at 50 lbs.

What does that mean to me? I was told that if the wet compression went up, that the rings were probably bad otherwise the valves were probably bad.

Any comments in general about the results.

Miles on engine: About 120k miles.
Valves adjusted: no idea.
Cam Belt, no idea.
Real Mechanic: Trying to.

I may have a line on a shop that does the engines for the race cars for the local racing that is so popular in CT. I'm not sure he will do this though. And if so, what is the cost.

6 months ago or so I went out to the internet and researched rebuilt engines. They went from $2500-$3500 with the difference mostly length of warrenty. Unfortunately I am a computer guy, no knowledge of engines which makes not getting taken a tough job. Which is why I am probing here.

There may be a major problem .But the above mentioned items are what I would think about checking into and let us know the results. The one side low makes me o\wonder.

Head gasket... Not uncommon on the early v6's.. It may/maynot be sucking coolant also. you'll need to tear into it to be sure and have that head looked at. you may want to consider a salvage yard motor from a better dealer. the better ones have a 90 day warranty. i've had many toys and have had only one with a head gasket failure and the head was still good. hopefully this is the case. good luck.

mudd

Just an update, I am having the head pulled for that side to take a look directly. If the cylinder is not damaged then it will "just" be a valve job.

It's a PITA being ignorant about engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back