Compound Bows to become "prohibited weapons" in Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be offensive, but does Aus have a lot of stupid people who cause these laws to be inacted?
41 bow incidents? Like people shooting at their neighbors property? Or just shooting at arrow out of sight in a city?
The city near me isn't free of idiots but I don't hear of people shooting arrows at each other?

Anyways, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have some form of "trigger lock" mandatory for storage of a compound bow or crossbow. When I was 11-12, a friends dad got booted out of the house and we got ahold of his compound bow. We all had "low powered" bows and thought we knew what we were doing. While we didn't shoot at anything alive, I do remember dry firing it and burying some target points well into a tree. It could've gone badly in any case.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Not to be offensive, but does Aus have a lot of stupid people who cause these laws to be inacted?
41 bow incidents? Like people shooting at their neighbors property? Or just shooting at arrow out of sight in a city?
The city near me isn't free of idiots but I don't hear of people shooting arrows at each other?

Anyways, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have some form of "trigger lock" mandatory for storage of a compound bow or crossbow. When I was 11-12, a friends dad got booted out of the house and we got ahold of his compound bow. We all had "low powered" bows and thought we knew what we were doing. While we didn't shoot at anything alive, I do remember dry firing it and burying some target points well into a tree. It could've gone badly in any case.

I wish people would understand you CAN'T regulate the stupid out of people! It's a little more complex than a mere statute that says Thou shall have and use a bow lock!! I also don't mean to offend you, but isn't this mentality along the same intelligence lines as you professed above? I'm not calling you or or trying to start any flaming. I'm correlating what you feel is stupid action to what i'm sayin is a stupid way to think you could control the stupid actions.

You may feel 41 bow incidents is " a lot" or "way to much" but you never asked the important question...41 incidents in a population of 1billion? 1 million? 100k? per capita? You really don't know the true representation or the history behind it.

Everything aside, for whatever reason we as a GLOBE in the "civilized" countries have this severe aversion to holding the actor, the actual person who put the actions in motion, accountable. Instead we have a thirst to blame an inanimate object or a corporation for the individual's actions.

Last edited:

41 out of 27 odd million people, majority of them property offences and injured animals...doesn't make them right, doesn't make it right to sensationalise to get the next inanimate object off the table 'though either.

Seems
to
be
stupid
people
in
Ontario
too

I believe the moral of the story is. People conduct stupid actions. No one is immune from stupid. The personal freedom of the many should not be impeded by the stupidity of the few.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

41 out of 27 odd million people, majority of them property offences and injured animals...doesn't make them right, doesn't make it right to sensationalise to get the next inanimate object off the table 'though either.

Seems
to
be
stupid
people
in
Ontario
too

Some of those were probably just bad, but legal hunting mistakes. And perhaps some people tired of a free running dog or cat. I suppose I might use my crossbow to eliminate a chronic problem dog, if I needed a quiet weapon, but it wouldn't be going more than 3 steps with a broadhead through the engine room... But I agree, we do have no shortage of dumb people with bows as well.

I guess my basic question is why you folks(as a nation) seem to swallow all sorts of laws impinging on your freedom? It seems the populace is willing to trade away alot to prevent people from injuring each other? Maybe you just have a higher standard of acceptable public safety than we do? Or do you have a large segment that shouldn't be trusted with a plastic fork?
Maybe we have/had more of a rural hunting culture?

I'm sure Ontario have a similar (or maybe higher) level of idiocy, smugness notwithstanding, you just seem to have fewer people who want to control what other people do/do not do with their time and money.

Present to the masses that there is a problem with these evil looking (play on that) "weapons" that are designed that they can be fired by an 8 year old (show 8 year old firing same), that any person can buy without a background check (show reporter walking into a dodgy chinese dive and buying a bow)...show a couple of injured animals, and demand that something be done.

It will work for the majority of people who wouldn't know a compound bow from a Chevy Badge...the populace will demand (or seem to be in the media demanding) action.

These people have admitted that they are ultimately after fishing rod in their pursuit of banning "blood sports"...they are just getting there one hysterical point at a time.

"No 'legitimate' hunter should need more than a single shot"...is part of the cry that made a 10-22 an assault weapon.

Sydney's spate of drive by shootings is leading to a database of fired bullets from us law abiding shooters, when even a simple analysis reveals that the glock .40 is the weapon of choice....and has NEVER been available for sale to the populace in the country.

Ontario might just be lucky that you don't have a bunch of people with an agenda who will never miss an opportunity to take something off someone else.

Some of those were probably just bad, but legal hunting mistakes. And perhaps some people tired of a free running dog or cat. I suppose I might use my crossbow to eliminate a chronic problem dog, if I needed a quiet weapon, but it wouldn't be going more than 3 steps with a broadhead through the engine room...

every one of them is still a crime...and will get added into the argument when they want to ban your crossbow.

And they will...they are already dividing the issue with the "fact" that a crossbow is more firearm than bow, in that you do not draw, sight, release, it's already cocked and loaded when you approach the target.

Divide, then take...in little steps that "reasonable" people will agree to.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Some of those were probably just bad, but legal hunting mistakes. And perhaps some people tired of a free running dog or cat. I suppose I might use my crossbow to eliminate a chronic problem dog, if I needed a quiet weapon, but it wouldn't be going more than 3 steps with a broadhead through the engine room...

every one of them is still a crime...and will get added into the argument when they want to ban your crossbow.

And they will...they are already dividing the issue with the "fact" that a crossbow is more firearm than bow, in that you do not draw, sight, release, it's already cocked and loaded when you approach the target.

Divide, then take...in little steps that "reasonable" people will agree to.

I guess the difference is that there doesn't seem to be any pressure to ban, register,or reclassify my crossbow here, let alone a bow. They aren't being used in crimes against people that I've ever heard of, and we are more media aware than most I think.
I dunno, my province is trying to balance the budget, and Rob Ford wastes 10% of the TV news time here, so I guess the "ban everything" folks here don't get any airplay?
I would assume on average, that Aussies have a higher degree of common sense than here, but still you have all these silly laws and restrictions we don't. What drives that?

I guess the difference is that there doesn't seem to be any pressure to ban, register,or reclassify my crossbow here, let alone a bow. They aren't being used in crimes against people that I've ever heard of, and we are more media aware than most I think.

I linked to a number of crimes committed with bows (which you poohpoohed)...they are the same type as the "41" that are being used in the current Oz debate...you don't think that they are crimes (and like the 41 in Oz, they aren't against people), but they are being used here to manipulate public opinion...and will there if the right people have the right desire at the right time.

The crossbow reference regarding classification that I made is nothing to do with Oz (they are illegal), but is pretty Googlable, and applicable to Ontario (why I posted it)....people are claiming that bows are things that you draw, aim, and fire, not wander around with pre-cocked/loaded...they are the ones drawing the firearm inference, and it's not to make it easier for you to have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back