Comparison: OEM Ram 1500 Air Filter, Wix 42725

Status
Not open for further replies.
OEM RAM 1500, 5.7L, Air Filter vs. Wix replacement 42725, April 2017 purchase

Pleat Stabilization glue: 3 rows on OEM, 2 rows on Wix 42725 bought in April 2017 (Amazon.com).

Intracostal spaces (spaces in between each pleat) counted, 111 for the OEM, 120 for the Wix (for error's sake, this was with +1/-1 accuracy, though I believe that I did count the OEM's spaces accurately)

Depth: Wix is approx. 10 millimeters deeper

Perimeter Seal:

The seal on the Wix was every bit as substantial as the OEM. It may have been a mil or two higher (and this could be due to the OEM having been used and compressed), but seemed equal in width and length.

However, there were some anomalies in the Wix seal's creation.

One corner had too much:

And, sadly, the error went over to the other side which would seem to reduce total airflow capability vs. the more open OEM:

Wix top:

OEM Top:

cat & dog tax:

Last edited:
catto and doggo!

Thanks for the comparisons, it seems (at least to me) that Wix is cranking out a perfectly comparable OEM equivalent.

Do we know the filtering efficiency of either?

Originally Posted By: RichardS
catto and doggo!

Thanks for the comparisons, it seems (at least to me) that Wix is cranking out a perfectly comparable OEM equivalent.

Do we know the filtering efficiency of either?

How much is Wix paying you? The OEM filter looks superior in every way. Which is typical. Hard to beat OE filters.

Better because it's shorter, or contains less media? Or, and may the imaginary god of your choosing forbid, there's some bleed on the foam?

Maybe I'm confused, but more = better (?)

And the WIX filter is made in china.

Does the factory filter have a country of origin shown on it?

Wix is famous for more is better in oil/air applications but uses lower efficiency media. It appeals to a large part of the DIY segment from all the Internet chatter I've heard over the years.

Both look like they will do the job though.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
And the WIX filter is made in china.

Does the factory filter have a country of origin shown on it?

It did: Mexico.

So here's a nearly dumb question: are some transmission breathers routed to the air cleaner, or is there any air-cleaner sensor that would affect shifting of an automatic transmission? It really seems like the transmission shifts smoother after putting the clean air filter in, and that just doesn't seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back