WIX air filter material changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to NAPA today to get a new air filter for my Mustang GT. I ordered the NAPA GOLD. I opened the box to check and to my surprise it was made of a white filtering material with a black rubber seal! It did have a made in the USA printed on it. Also the stamping of the black seal was terrible, with a lot of shredding flakes of material. The pleats were not very good and a lower count than my previous yellow and orange WIX. The NAPA salesman told me that he guaranteed that it was a real WIX filter. It really looked exactly like a Champ filter. I told him no thank you and cancelled my order. So either WIX is no longer making the yellow and orange air filter or NAPA has changed suppliers. What do you guys think is going on?

I think the fleece filters just as good, and I think it is much sturdier than the paper filters. A little flash around the edge isn't going to hurt anything. I'd still buy it with confidence; as a matter of fact I have one of these on the shelf for the Odyssey.

Colt45ws said, "Wix got bought by MANN+HUMMEL not to long ago."

Didn't Purolater recently buy MANN+HUMMEL?....so Purolater now owns WIX and MANN+HUMMEL, no?

welcome2.gif

I would suggest the Fram Ultra or Tough Guard air filter, if it is available for your car
smile.gif

(Fram recently changed their Tough Guard air filters tot eh Ultra name, but they are the same great filter)

Originally Posted By: Kira
Colt45ws said, "Wix got bought by MANN+HUMMEL not to long ago."

Didn't Purolater recently buy MANN+HUMMEL?....so Purolater now owns WIX and MANN+HUMMEL, no?

Mann bought Purolator, not the other way around
smile.gif

Mann bought Purolator some time ago, and then they recently bought Wix as well.

I like the WIX oil filters, the air filters are meh. I use AEM dryflow very nice quality.

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I’m getting too anal about something that is disposable. I just wanted something of fair quality for a fair price. Hate to be so disappointed in NAPA. I hope it’s not a trend of selling Gold stuff that is of low quality compared to Motorcraft or other brands.

I just bought a Napa Gold air filter yesterday. It looked GREAT. It was white and black, made by Wix. In POLAND.

Probably can't get an air filter from Toyota for his Mustang though.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Toyota's OEM air filters.Very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back