Comparing Diesel Engine Oils Via ASTM Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gday folks,

When evaluating the performance of a particular diesel engine oil (not being concerned with cost or other issues), is it valid to compare the oils exclusively on ASTM standard tests? I see that amsoil are forthcoming about their test results and other oil brands, but it does beg the question is this a valid way to evaluate them?

Originally Posted By: nullack
Gday folks,

When evaluating the performance of a particular diesel engine oil (not being concerned with cost or other issues), is it valid to compare the oils exclusively on ASTM standard tests? I see that amsoil are forthcoming about their test results and other oil brands, but it does beg the question is this a valid way to evaluate them?

No. It's not valid "to compare the oils exclusively on ASTM standard tests". That's why Amsoil does fleet tests and interfaces so much with dealers and customers.

So what evaluation methods does a consumer use to determine what the best diesel oil is? Best for protection, reduced wear etcetc.

Same as any oil. One will need to weigh all the input available from all sources, and make a decision. No one else can make this decision for you - well someone could pick and oil for you, and you would either be just as happy, or blame them if something went wrong.

Well I was hoping to base my decision on something more tangible than the direction of the breeze :) Perhaps someone has some insight into how comprehensive the battery of typical astm tests are that companies like amsoil publish test data for? If additional tests are relevant too or if the 4ball, noack, ash etcetc are good indicators.

IMHO the best indicators if you don't want to do a tremendous amount of research are the API rating, ACEA ratings and manufacturer's approval ratings. What vehicle is it for?

Charlie
05 Unimog U500/Unicat camper, BMW 325xi, BMW X5 35d

A new 2009 model 76 series toyota landcruiser wagon - common rail piezo electric v8 diesel with a vatn turbo and intercooler.

I understand the api rating is the lowest standard possible whereas the acea ratings can be more about better protection. The problem with going to manufacturer specs is it may not be the best protection possible - they sometimes skimp on the spec to please fleet buyers on maintenance costs who sell their cars out of lease. I intend to keep mine for decades.

Does the vehicle have EGR and/or a particulate filter? Does it meet Euro emission specs, at what level?

Charlie

Last edited:
nullack,
be careful with the use of Euro specs...particularly with warranty,

My Navara (ZD30) has a requirement in the manual that nothing "newer" than CF-4 be used, pushing me into Petrol engine oils. It also lists Euro specs....which opened up the range considerably, and into some really good stuff.

Nissan refused to acknowledge the Euro specs, sticking to the "Australian" specfication of "no higher than CF-4"

Originally Posted By: nullack
A new 2009 model 76 series toyota landcruiser wagon - common rail piezo electric v8 diesel with a vatn turbo and intercooler.

I understand the api rating is the lowest standard possible whereas the acea ratings can be more about better protection. The problem with going to manufacturer specs is it may not be the best protection possible - they sometimes skimp on the spec to please fleet buyers on maintenance costs who sell their cars out of lease. I intend to keep mine for decades.

A small bird tells me you won't be seeing this model in the USA any time soon. I only wish!! IF this model was here, dollars to doughnuts the current call-out would be CJ-4. I would hesitate to call this the "lowest standard possible" (it isn't), nor would I get into an ACEA is better or "acea ratings can be more about better protection" search. I would choose a good CJ-4 oil and with proper maintenance, the engine will outlast the rest.

Interesting....Mobil recommend a Delvac 1 ESP, while Castrol recommend petrol engine oils with CF ratings.

What's in the manual ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back