Compare Amsoil Gear oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an expert in gear oils, I just try to gain anything I can from what I read here, but looking at Amsoils gear oils, for instance

75w90 Severe
75w90 Long Life
80w90 Gear Oil

What is the real difference between all of these? You have two which are the same weights, and one that is an older common oil. They all recommend 100k normal, and 50k severe intervals. I'm assuming that Amsoil markets them as Best,Better,Good in the same order as above, but in real life, what are we looking at here as far as different applications or quality or protection?

If I went to the trouble of getting Amsoil for my vehicle (and I did) I would go for the Severe as its only a littler more than the next step down. Assuming its spec'ed for my vehicle.

Look at the Amsoil web site section for your vehicle. What is the top recommendation? Go with that.

I run severe gear 75-140syn in my jeeps,
not sure of the differences but I know a few "rock crawler" guys that prefer severe gear.

Same here.

If I am going to go through the bother of getting Amsoil, I am going to run their best stuff, (and one of the best available anywhere for that matter
wink.gif
) Severe Gear.
grin.gif

This is for a front and rear differential. I am going to run the Severe Gear 75w90 in the front, and Severe Gear 75w140 in the rear. I was just wondering what the differences really are. I've read for a long time how great the severe gear is, so thats what is going in.

From your list... SVT-SVO-SVG are Amsoils more {Robust} gear oils and Top of the Line...
Plain and simple they are produced with superior high VI,shear stable synthetic base oils and an overtreatment of extreme pressure additives, that effectively protect against high stress applications against friction,heat and wear...

In very simple terms..

The SVT-SV0-SVG gear oils are used by mainly very anal owners like ourselves who want to protect our investments and prolong the life of the part or parts for many many yrs...{These are normaly used by owners who tow alot or work or play hard}...Or who just want the better product...

The others are still very good products, but used my owners who are not so anal, but still want a good product to help protect their investments part or parts for yrs to come...

This is one time, that you get what you pay for... You simply get a better product...

I use the 80W90 AGL in my car`s rear diff simply because it specs 80W90 GL5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back