Common axle nut sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this might be geared towards the pro wrenchers then the DIY guys.

I'm looking to be prepared for all CV axles replacements. I normally service friends and family cars that are about 90% japan cars with 5% being BMW E46 and another 5% being big yukon/denali/ Caddy truck.

Looking at my box i currently have a 36mm 6pt, 32mm 12pt, and 30mm 6pt. What might be the next most common ones i would need without buying one of those sets. I'll keep these sizes in my head so when i walk around places and see random tools i can try to spot them out. That and my infamous 10mm 6pt that keeps walking away from me.

Quote:
Applications: 30mm Axle Nut Socket - services GM body styles A, J and N, plus Asian imports. 36mm Axle Nut Socket - services many GM, Ford and Chrysler full-size vehicles. 32mm Axle Nut Socket - services late model Honda and Chrysler vehicles. 34mm Axle Nut Socket - services many GM mid-size vehicles. 29mm Axle Nut Socket - services late model GM, Ford and Asian imports. 35mm Axle Nut Socket - services many GM vehicles. 38mm Axle Nut Socket - services various full-size vehicles including SUVs.

I copied that from GearWrench's product description for an axle nut socket set.

Add 30mm 12pt, 33, 34, 38 6 pt to the list. If your luck is anything like mine you buy those and run into a Ford 35mm, Toyota 39mm or Honda 29mm next.

Why not get the HF mega-kit?

They have other uses too like press arbors.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Why not get the HF mega-kit?

They have other uses too like press arbors.

x2. Perhaps these would fit a few crankshaft pulleys too.

Oddly enough, the online description says chrome-moly construction, but the box in the store made no mention of it. They seem like a completly different animal than their other chrome-moly sockets too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-1-2...-set-66988.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back