Why are flex sockets not more common and no 6pt?

I have seen these a few times and was enamored by them. "Flex Socket" seems to be the named used most of the time. I looked everywhere and only found them available from: Snap-on ($$), Carlyle [Napa] (~$24/each) and a few Chinese know-offs on line. (A few other top self brands, but only in SAE) Of the ones I found all were 12pt, none to be had in my preferred 6pt.

Any feedback or idea why these are not more common? (Maybe with the prevalence of ratcheting sockets, just did not sell and not economically viable? Maybe the companies would prefer to push ratcheting wrenches at at higher margin? Do pros use them?) I'm just a home "mechanic" but thought they would be great for tight spots (Like the drain plugs on my cruiser or doing some tight engine work. Again to the extent possible I prefer 6pt)

I got this one in the mail today. ($24: 10% off + free shipping at NAPA.com thru the 31st.) Just the 10mm as a trial. The 12pc set is $310 top of my budget but I really don't need them. Sitting here on my desk it is nice, I'll probably give it a go for a while and order a few of my most used sizes; 14, 16, 17 etc.

Any thoughts?

tempImageeGYO1P.jpg

Last edited:
Combo wrenches are usually 12 point, so why not that wrench? What’s the difference?

I have seen these a few times and was enamored by them. "Flex Socket" seems to be the named used most of the time. I looked everywhere and only found them available from: Snap-on ($$), Carlyle [Napa] (~$24/each) and a few Chinese know-offs on line. (A few other top self brands, but only in SAE) Of the ones I found all were 12pt, none to be had in my preferred 6pt.

Any feedback or idea why these are not more common? (Maybe with the prevalence of ratcheting sockets, just did not sell and not economically viable? Maybe the companies would prefer to push ratcheting wrenches at at higher margin? Do pros use them?) I'm just a home "mechanic" but thought they would be great for tight spots (Like the drain plugs on my cruiser or doing some tight engine work. Again to the extent possible I prefer 6pt)

I got this one in the mail today. ($24: 10% off + free shipping at NAPA.com thru the 31st.) Just the 10mm as a trial. The 12pc set is $310 top of my budget but I really don't need them. Sitting here on my desk it is nice, I'll probably give it a go for a while and order a few of my most used sizes; 14, 16, 17 etc.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 58499
It is all about the degree of swing to fet the end on the bolt, the 12pt is only half that of a 6pt.
There is absolutly nothing wrong with a quality proper fitting 12pt wrench or socket.

It is all about the degree of swing to fet the end on the bolt, the 12pt is only half that of a 6pt.
There is absolutly nothing wrong with a quality proper fitting 12pt wrench or socket.

Can you expand on this a bit?

I have 6 and 12 point both in my box. I don't have every type for every situation(i.e my 1/2" drive SAE deep wells are 6 point aside from the one I bought to do up the 12 point ARP head nuts I have on my engine), but I do have standard shallow in both 6 and 12 in 3/8" and 1/2" drive in SAE, and most of my metric is 12).

The 12s are certainly a lot more convenient to use, especially with something like a breaker bar, but I've always grabbed the 6s if I expect trouble like something fairly rusty on the premise that putting a lot of torque on the flats is less likely to round it off than on the points. Am I wrong

I like 12pt in tight places, its true once you get the socket on the head it doesn't make much difference but in really tight places that in itself may be a bit of a problem if there is not enough space to swing the ratchet, you pull it back and turn the socket a bit by hand and have another go.
The 12pt will usually find its place without any trouble. Most 12pt sockets and wrenches today also have flank drive (or whatever the company calls it, it is no longer under patent protection) making them a lot less likely to round fastener heads.

This is Snap on.

Williams wrenches with this technology.

6pt are the way to go if it is a badly rusted fastener, not only because its rusted but the head may have become undersized due to rust.

Honestly I’ve only ever found them in 6 point. I have I think two or three of those style wrenches and all of them are 6 point. It seems the 12 point would be helpful though in tight spots especially.

Back