Comments on Falken Azenis FK460 A/S vs Kumho Ecsta PA51 All-Season Tire?

Local has the Falken and Kumho in stock in correct size now, but can get Toyo Extensa HP II from sister shop. (All same price range.)

Couldn't find out as much on the FK460 as it appears to be a newer model (guess replacing 450). They are all listed as UHP all season.

Older daily driver 2007 Honda. Now ~ 1250 mi/yr. NJ/PA area weather. 50/50 city/highway. Will see a bit of snow/slush, but rain-wet is definite.

And thanks for the help with last year's tire post which was for me - this time it's for my brother :)

And will note his driving is no longer extra-spirited, so wonder if there's a difference in noise or comfort.

Either are fine, but it might be worth checking out 3-peak all-season tires like the Toyo Celsius and Nokian Nordman Solstice :unsure:

Does he really need a UHPAS tire? Why not a grand touring A/S (and they tend to have longer treadwear mileage).

The Falken's inboard siping looks like a variant of the old Nokian WR All-weather Plus siping.

1678239267904.jpg

1678239317900.jpg

I'm actually surprised tirerack even bothers testing UHP AS tires in the snow as what makes them perform well in the summer means they aren't very good in winter, but if you want to go that route have a read here. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=254
I've only had one set of sumitomo's years ago, but they were very good tires and I think they are generally good quality tires. Of the 4 tested I'd get the sumitomo's.
But probably I'd get a regular cheapish all season tire that performs decent in the wet and snow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick notes. He wasn't specifically looking UHP, but that's what the two known-name brands in stock locally turned out to be - in his target price range. (Not sure if numbers can be mentioned at BITOG.)

I'll pass on the suggestions if he's willing to delay a bit. Don't think he considered the snow-rated; the Celsius may be pricier than he's been looking, but the asymmetric Nokian could be interesting. The Sumitomos are OOS at TR at that size, will poke around elsewhere for more info. And yes the rubber would probably age out before tread is worn out.

PS Did look at WM since I wound up with the KU27 Platinums last year, but they're out of his size anyway. Been fine over the 200 mi so far - though no snow this year to test.

Edit: The Sumitomos are OOS, not because of size, but when searching by car model since the 91 load index is lower than OEM.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick notes. He wasn't specifically looking UHP, but that's what the two known-name brands in stock locally turned out to be - in his target price range. (Not sure if numbers can be mentioned at BITOG.)

I'll pass on the suggestions if he's willing to delay a bit. Don't think he considered the snow-rated; the Celsius may be pricier than he's been looking, but the asymmetric Nokian could be interesting. The Sumitomos are OOS at TR at that size, will poke around elsewhere for more info. And yes the rubber would probably age out before tread is worn out.

PS Did look at WM since I wound up with the KU27 Platinums last year, but they're out of his size anyway. Been fine over the 200 mi so far - though no snow this year to test.

Edit: The Sumitomos are OOS, not because of size, but when searching by car model since the 91 load index is lower than OEM.
Sit tight they were out my size in the LX platinum in 2 weeks back in stock

Back