Coming out of ext warranty V8 4Runner... new oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4Runner V8 2007 4 x 4 Sport will be out of extended warranty at the end of the recent oil change. Been running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and premium oil filters since the break-in at approximately 6K miles. Oil has been excellent, through the super hot SW summers and the very cold Colorado mountain winters. The Platinum rocks!

Due to warranty, I've been changing oil every six months or approx 6K miles give or take. miles. Since warranty will be expiring, I'd like to extend the oil change frequency to 1X a year if possible and change 'er out at approx 10k-12k miles.

I've read that the Platinum in reality should not be pushed to go that long, even though the 4.7 V8 is fairly easy on oil. And I don't want to send out samples to Blackstone. Just want to keep it simple if possible.

What would your recommendations be for an extended full synthetic oil and weight... and filter to handle the extra mileage, 1X a year frequency?

BTW, if I run more mileage, I will change the oil at the time/mileage recommended for that oil.

I appreciate the forum's input.

Getting a few UOA (with TBN) is likely going to the be the only way to positively know whether you can extend your OCI or not.

Does Toyota still offer that engine and if so, does it fall into their 10K 0W-20 oil change regiment?

I'd think Mobil 1 EP would be something to consider, with a Fram Ultra or Purolator Synthetic filter.

Originally Posted By: Climb14er
My 4Runner V8 2007 4 x 4 Sport will be out of extended warranty at the end of the recent oil change. Been running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and premium oil filters since the break-in at approximately 6K miles. Oil has been excellent, through the super hot SW summers and the very cold Colorado mountain winters. The Platinum rocks!

Due to warranty, I've been changing oil every six months or approx 6K miles give or take. miles. Since warranty will be expiring, I'd like to extend the oil change frequency to 1X a year if possible and change 'er out at approx 10k-12k miles.

I've read that the Platinum in reality should not be pushed to go that long, even though the 4.7 V8 is fairly easy on oil. And I don't want to send out samples to Blackstone. Just want to keep it simple if possible.

What would your recommendations be for an extended full synthetic oil and weight... and filter to handle the extra mileage, 1X a year frequency?

BTW, if I run more mileage, I will change the oil at the time/mileage recommended for that oil.

I appreciate the forum's input.

Originally Posted By: mjk
I'd think Mobil 1 EP would be something to consider, with a Fram Ultra or Purolator Synthetic filter.

+1 with a UOA at 8K or so to be sure that you are good; then set your "recipe" and follow it and leave the hand wringing for others...

Go to Kmart and buy 1-2 oci of PP with a PuroSYN filter, on sale for $30 right now.
Get a UOA at 7-8k with TBN/TAN to see how its doing.
If doesn't look like will make it a year, buy a oci of M1-EP or Edge gold with a frame ultra or M1 filter when on sale at parts store, and repeat.
It might not be possible but only way to know for sure.

You could probably go an easy 8K on Plat.
If you want to go beyond that, there are some much longer UOAs with Plat that look very good.
There are also some shorter UOAs of M1 EP and Amsoil SSO that don't look too encouraging.
If you want to take it on blind faith, any decent synthetic might be okay for 10K.
It's your engine and it gets used as you need it.
Considering that, a UOA or two would be the safest way to extned your drain intervals out to your goal of once a year.
The oil doesn't really matter so much as does the engine and the way you use the car.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You could probably go an easy 8K on Plat.
If you want to go beyond that, there are some much longer UOAs with Plat that look very good.
There are also some shorter UOAs of M1 EP and Amsoil SSO that don't look too encouraging.
If you want to take it on blind faith, any decent synthetic might be okay for 10K.
It's your engine and it gets used as you need it.
Considering that, a UOA or two would be the safest way to extned your drain intervals out to your goal of once a year.
The oil doesn't really matter so much as does the engine and the way you use the car.

Spoke with Toyota folks whom I know fairly well. Unlike the newer Toyotas that go 10K miles on an OCI, the 4.7 V8 is still maxed out according to factory specs at 7500 miles.

For the record, like many others here, I've been changing oils religiously in my vehicles, first beginning in 1971 with my 1600 VW Bug, running straight 30wt and 20wt in the very cold winters, OCI's at 1500 miles. Later on, moved to Castrol GTX 20W-50 Racing oil in the air cooled engine.

Being that the 4.7 V8 is easy on oil and that I haven't read much at all about extended OCI's for this engine almost anywhere...

I'll stick to the Pennzoil Platinum and maybe Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and 7500 miles. If I feel so inclined, I might run a Blackstone and in the meantime, check with the boards to see if others have extended their OCI's on the 4.7 V8 engine.

I just switched my oil to M1 0w40. I do a lot of short trips and accumulate only ~8k a year...and that is with an annual 2400 mile road trip. I did feel a little difference, but nothing I'm worried about.

My warranty runs out on 5/23...can't believe I've had this truck for a year already! Love it!

Last edited:
I changed the oil from long time Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 to Mobil One EP 5W-30 using a Mobil One oil filter a month ago.

The only difference I've noticed...

The engine is louder at throttle! It's also louder at highway speeds.

I'm sure it's doing its job at lubricating just fine. Have no concerns about that.

But man... the engine is not as quiet as it once was with Pennzoil Platinum.

And BTW... my hearing is just fine.
wink.gif

I changed the oil from long time Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 to Mobil One EP 5W-30 using a Mobil One oil filter a month ago.

I'm sure it's doing its job at lubricating just fine. Have no concerns about that.

wink.gif

Go Back to PP and use an Ultra filter... Those engines will run forever with a good syn oil. Mobil 1 0W40 is a great oil in the right application but I'm not sure if it is the best choice for this engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

wink.gif

Go Back to PP and use an Ultra filter... Those engines will run forever with a good syn oil. Mobil 1 0W40 is a great oil in the right application but I'm not sure if it is the best choice for this engine.

It's the SAME WEIGHT 5W-30. 4Runner is spec'ed for this.

here's what i'd recommend.
At least for this first try, just use the best oil for each manufacturer (best as defined by as marketing by manufacturer).

If you like pennzoil, go PU rather then PP. What's the price difference? like $5? If you use PP, for the last 6months you'll be sweating bullets of why didn't i just pay $5 extra for PU.
If Mobil then go M1 EP.
Go with the OEM filter if you have easy availability to get them, otherwise any "premium" filter that you like.

See if you can make it the year without scratching the itch to change early at least for this first one. I bet around 9months you will get the urge to "NEED TO CHANGE!"

Then come back next year for the current flavor of the month.

Last edited:
I have serviced a myriad of Toyota 3.4 and 4.7 engines. I have gone hundreds of thousands of miles using the oversized M1-209 filter and M1 (AFE, EP) and PP. Go with an oversize filter. The Wix equivalent is 51516.

I use Amsoil and go 1 year or 10k on our vehicles, the F150 OLM goes exactly 10k...

tig1 uses M1 and goes 10k in all his vehicles, and has since the 70s(not to speak for him)

If you're concerned going more than the OM says, get a UOA done at 7500 to see how your oil is doing.

Filters rated for longer intervals are Amsoil, M1, Bosch Distance, and one other I can't recall off the top of my head.

a few thoughts:

1)I've owned/maintained a 2UZ-FE. It's indeed easy on oil. 7.5k oci with M1 5w-30 (either plain or HM) is perfect unless you are hauling hay or horses all the time (or a simlar load).

2) Sure, use PP, or GC 0w-40, or whatever else in the category suits you.

3) More importantly than what flavor of synthetic to use, The big issue with your vehicle is not to trust the OE recommendations on ATF ; they are marketing-driven and not based on mechanical needs or common sense. Get the WS fluid out at 60k or so and replace with MaxLife or similar full synthetic ATF. Do a drain/fill every 30k after that. the Asin A750F is a good transmission, but it can't run 100k on WS fluid. Do PS system maintenance, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back