combined tire threads by Ram Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best tires are 2 sets, summer tires and winter tires. No all season tire on earth beats this combo IMO.

Originally Posted By: si_jeff
Best tires are 2 sets, summer tires and winter tires. No all season tire on earth beats this combo IMO.

Maybe in NY, but the OP is a bit further south - maybe his winters aren't bad enough to justify dedicated winter tires?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Maybe in NY, but the OP is a bit further south - maybe his winters aren't bad enough to justify dedicated winter tires?

No idea, but ,maybe OP can chime in on what his winter's are like down there.

I have the Cooper CS-5 Grand Touring on a 05 Odyssey. It's not my daily driver but I was driving it through a heavy rain storm several weeks ago I was extremely impressed with there performance. I see Ford is installing Cooper tires as OEM on the Focus. Not sure if it is the CS-3 or CS-5.

Last edited:
Our winters vary i probably don't need winter tires but i may do that. Ill be buying new wheels so no harm in doing this honestly. How well do summer tires do im rain? We sometimes get heavy rain

Winters where you are?

Half the time people in ohio don't know what winter tires are.
They still confuse them with 30 year old studded type tires
Maybe some nokian WRG3's?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
How well do summer tires do im rain? We sometimes get heavy rain

Most summer tires are excellent in the rain. Better than many all-seasons.

What he said but beware of the class called "extreme summer performance" tires, at least on tire rack. These are dry only/mostly tires. They trade wet performance for ultimate dry grip. But they are minority.

Krzys

Michelin Pilot SuoerSports...

They're so good, I bought a FWD car because they make the car unnaturally predictable/controllable for the layout (it's an R56 Mini Cooper S JCW that I'm making a fun car)...

They are also the only tire (size 275/30R19 on 19x11.5" Ray's Volk TE37SL rear wheels) that I have not been able to break loose in a "race shift" into 3rd in my N/A 06 M3...

The most incredible part? Driving in the wet, it's pretty much identical!

Originally Posted By: nleksan
size 275/30R19 on 19x11.5"

That poor sidewall is not too stretched out. YIKES!!!!
eek.gif

I don't agree. In regions with cool, humid Springs and Autumns, frosts and downpours, too many mornings and late evenings are too cold for good Summer tire performance.

With higher performance than Winter tires, the All Season comes into its own those two seasons every year.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
Michelin Pilot SuoerSports...

They're so good, I bought a FWD car because they make the car unnaturally predictable/controllable for the layout (it's an R56 Mini Cooper S JCW that I'm making a fun car)...

They are also the only tire (size 275/30R19 on 19x11.5" Ray's Volk TE37SL rear wheels) that I have not been able to break loose in a "race shift" into 3rd in my N/A 06 M3...

The most incredible part? Driving in the wet, it's pretty much identical!

THIS! And both myself and SteveSRT8 will back you up on that, they are absolutely incredible tires
thumbsup2.gif

Hmmm, someone mention my fav?

I am amazed at the combination of ride quality, low noise, and amazing traction both wet and dry with my Pilots. If they truly last 30k miles as per their warranty they may be the CHEAPEST (per mile) tire I have had on this car...

I have Firestone Affinity Touring tires on a Grand Marquis

35k so far in 1 1/2 yr. Still have just over 9/32 of meat left on them
Handles excellent in northern WI snow. Never had a problem of getting stuck. Barely slips in the rain. Free rotations every 5K at Firestone.

So far, great bang for the buck. Bought 3 got 4th free
Wanted Uniroyals, but the price for Firestones was $100 cheaper. I do not regret the decision.

When I worked at a tire shop, Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tourings were our best selling tires.
Cooper CS4's were constantly getting 90k miles out of them

I went through this when I bought new tires for my SI.
I concluded the best overall tire for me was the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3.
Read the reviews, they are honestly probably the best overall tire out there at this moment. They are more money than the Generals, but they are pretty great. I love them.

1. General altimax rt43 75,000 warranty and $218 after mail in rebate
2. Continental pure contact ecoplus $348.60
3. Kumho solus ta11 75,000 warranty 164.88 after rebate
4. Pirelli p4 seasons plus 90,000 miles 340.96
5. Goodyear eagle sport allseason 50,000 miles warranty 304.56
Im skeptical of the continental the contipro contacts on my car are at 3/32 at 17,000 miles and the tires dont handle the road as well as the car can. So the tire reaches it's limit before the car does. Also the gy make me nervous i haven't had any great gy tires. And the kumho seems like a great bargain but i don't know alot about them. Any and all advice and thoughts are welcome. All the prices included shipping and were from tire rack. If theres another tire you'd recommend go ahead and throw it in but im not interested in michelins i am sure they make a great tire but are just way out there expensive from what i saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same study four months ago and got the RT43's. I'm very happy so far especially wet traction, my particular bellwether. I paid more than your estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back