Combating dropping TBN's with vintage MotorGuard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I installed my vintage MotorGuard M100 in series before my Puradyn MTS24 and thought I would share my install with you. If you look at past post's you can find both the Puradyn MTS24 thread as well as the vintage MotorGuard M100 I bought and reviewed. Why would I add a vintage MotorGuard M100 before the Puradyn MTS24 you ask? I've done this to counter the dropping TBN's of the oil as time and miles pass in this unit. The Cummins is not using any oil, (approximately 1 quart every 7000-10000 miles) which in my view is not enough to keep the TBN's up on this system. The MotorGuard roll will be changed every 5000 miles, resulting in 1.5 quarts of top off and that with the normal top off should result in a stable TBN and very clean oil. Future oil analysis will confirm whether or not I was right. My goal is no oil changes, just filter changes as needed. So here's my setup I made:

MTS24 Removed from the truck:

Measuring my scrap steel:

M100 mount welded in and painted:

M100 mounted:

Oil line installed:

I must have hit the submit button before I completed the thread, so here are some more pictures: Unit needed 1.5 quarts top up oil after install.

Installed in the truck:

Not knocking your filter setup AT ALL, but your title implies it'll fix oil acidification, which is a bit misleading when you're actually talking about a partial oil change doing the job.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Not knocking your filter setup AT ALL, but your title implies it'll fix oil acidification, which is a bit misleading when you're actually talking about a partial oil change doing the job.

That's true, but a partial oil change is 1.5 quarts every 5000 miles or so on a 21 quart capacity. That's 2 toilet paper rolls and 3 quarts added a year and could be reduced to one filter change a year depending on my oil reports, in my books that's a win win.

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
Do you have to send the oil out for testing? Does the testing show the levels of all the chemical levels, like zinc?

Yes, I send a sample to Blackstone labs once a year, giving me the chemical break down of the oil as well as the TBN's.

A310
Your set up looks great. By adding fresh oil every 5000 miles this should keep your TBN up.
I look fwd to your future UOA's. My goal is to also never change my oil again, just to change filters and top off with fresh oil to keep up TBN.

Originally Posted By: Crusher
A310
Your set up looks great. By adding fresh oil every 5000 miles this should keep your TBN up.
I look fwd to your future UOA's. My goal is to also never change my oil again, just to change filters and top off with fresh oil to keep up TBN.

Thanks Crusher, that system you have is working great. I'm only putting 10,000 miles per year on this truck, so my next oil sample for this truck is at the end of the year.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Originally Posted By: A310
Ihatetochangeoil said:
Nice looking setup!!

Very nice looking job on the 1st Gen !!! Let us know down the road how things are working for you.

B

Thanks, I sure will.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back