Coleman Powermate 5000 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for letting me join this forum.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 10hp Coleman Powermate Generator. Motor was built in 1999 no leaks.

Drained the oil and replaced with fully syn 5w-30 for all seasons. Summer 90 Fahrenheit. Winter Approx 10 Fahrenheit.

The syn oil I used was Supertech full syn 5w-30 full complaint with all current specs i.e APU SN PLUS, DEXOS GEN2 Etc. I also put the same oil in my 4 cycle snowblower.

What do you think? Good enough oil or not?

Thanks for your feedbacks.

I have the same generator and run 5W30 synthetic. Supertech synthetic oil will be fine.

The only issue I have is the carb. I normally run it dry, but may have forgot to do that once or twice.

I have had the smaller Powermate since ~96 or so. We use it for the airplane's ~800watt electric engine heater and a small air compressor, where it sits in a cold hangar until it gets pulled out, run for ~hour in cold weather, then put away. Been using Mobil1 10w-40 MC oil. It is a thin 40 and for only one quart a year, worth the price. We sometimes pour the sumped aviation fuel in the generator, but the lead has not been a problem for the synthetic (synths can have a problem suspending lots of lead, but we are only talkig a few oz per tank).

Awesome will look into Mobil 1. Don't mind doing a oil change. What's 15mins.

Was shocked when I changed the oil it took 44oz for a 10hp! But I know it's right.

I don't mind paying more money for a better oil. Want to get as many years out of it as possible! Just thought with changing the oil regularly the Super tech would be fine.

Thanks for quick reply!

That was $3/quart yesterday and passed … did not think of using in gens (and only have 5 of them) …

welcome2.gif
thank you for joining!

Originally Posted by Andya
Awesome will look into Mobil 1. Don't mind doing a oil change. What's 15mins.

Was shocked when I changed the oil it took 44oz for a 10hp! But I know it's right.

I don't mind paying more money for a better oil. Want to get as many years out of it as possible! Just thought with changing the oil regularly the Super tech would be fine.

Thanks for quick reply!

I'm assuming that 44 oz is for a standby generator and not a portable generator. My Briggs & Stratton 5500 watt portable generator with the 342 cc engine holds 28 oz of oil. B&S recommends 5W-30 synthetic oil as their preferred oil for my generator.

Whimsey

Sorry for the late reply. My Briggs and Stratton as no dipstick on either side. I was made aware that I should fill with oil until touching the first screw thread. This advice came from a small engine technician.

The old oil was also touching the first screw thread. Hope this is right?

Originally Posted by Andya
Sorry for the late reply. My Briggs and Stratton as no dipstick on either side. I was made aware that I should fill with oil until touching the first screw thread. This advice came from a small engine technician.

The old oil was also touching the first screw thread. Hope this is right?

Yes, the same as my Briggs engine. It has 2 fill ports, one on either side of the engine and no dipsticks. The owners manual states to fill it till it to the top thread. Realistically, if you think about it, you can't overfill it, it spills out
grin2.gif
In 6 years never had a problem doing it that way.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back